Thread: reticle thickness/magnification for F-Class?

Basic Member

reticle thickness/magnification for F-Class?

In choosing a scope for 600 yard F-TR how thick of a reticle is "too thick"?

Depending on whether you go with a fixed power or a variable, FFP or SFP, reticle type, maker etc. there are a lot of variables. It seems crosshair subtensions can vary from .04-.11 or greater.

At what point do you start blocking too much of the bull?

Basic Member
    I would not want a FFP scope for F class, I know my Vortex PST FFP scope the reticle is too thick for F class at full magnification. I use my SFP for F class. I still like having the EBR-1 reticle for F class. I had shot a buddies Nightforce benchrest scope and I thought they were too small, the reticle would get lost in the mirage.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by missed View Post
    I would not want a FFP scope for F class, I know my Vortex PST FFP scope the reticle is too thick for F class at full magnification.
    Agreed, x2. I have the same Vortex PST FFP. I love the scope, but can't use it at full power. I usually back the power down to about 16x and it's OK.
    The subtension on this scope is .18

My standard Viper has a plain ole simple cross hair, fairly fine, even at full power. I have the "wide V-plex" ....it's .10....perfect for 600yds.
    [COLOR=#ff0000]Hello to all you nice folks at NSA :)[/COLOR]

JCalhoun
    The X ring on a F-Class target is .5moa so I would look at fine duplex or fine dot.

pitsnipe
    My Leupold MK 4, 6.5 to 20 X 50 LRT, is SFP. With the TMR reticle is great for aiming small. The center of the reticle is open. And looks like, to me anyway, that it brackets the X ring at both 300 and 600. No cross hair in the way.

Snipe

LongRange
    i just shot my first 600yd F-class last saturday with a nightforce ATACR and the cross just about covered the bull but the MOAR is pretty thick. im shooting in a 1000yd match this sunday and will be switching back to my NXS 8-32 with the NP-R1 reticle which is very thin,i can see a 2" square on a target at a mile+ with the NP-R1.

beta1759
    get the leupold vx-6 7-42. its improved my scores at our 600 shoot dramatically, and its pretty amazing glass. Best glass i own. The tmoa-plus reticle is so easy to use its almost cheating at 600. the "inner crosshairs" subtends perfectly inside of the X ring since its a .3moa wide.

bear in mind, that leupold created this optic with the help of the USA f-class team, so it has everything you could need for shooting f class.