Thread: Stripped receiver scope base mount

savage2014

Stripped receiver scope base mount

Question time again folks, I recently removed the factory scope base from my Axis, and found out, the front most threads of the receiver and the screw were stripped. I just put a little loctite on my new screw anyway and mounted my scope base (iT STILL ENGAGED, BUT WITH LITTLE HESITATION). But now it got me thinking, can I buy a Tap to fix the thread on the receiver, or do I send it back to Savage for warranty repair? I am sure this was stripped from the factory, and not by me...

Thanks

I use this..
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/262..._vc=OBv1262861

In my experience, usually the screw threads strip before the ones in the receiver. But then it's still necessary to clean out/ re-thread the receiver mounting hole threads. I've done several using this tap. In fact, my son's brand new Model 16 that I bought for him recently had holes that were so dirty and full of burrs that they were essentially unusable. Like you, I thought about marching back to the gun shop where I bought it, and the possibility of sending it back. But instead I spent about 10 minutes with the tap, and carefully cleaned up all four holes, and it worked great. I'm not real jazzed about having to do that on a brand new gun, but honestly, to me it's a better option than sending it back and waiting for them to do the same thing. Only problem is, if you mess it up, it's now your problem, not theirs. I don't think they'd do much to help in that case. But if you go slow, use plenty of lube, and back it out frequently and use air to blow out the debris, you shouldn't have any problems. Just don't force it or start it crooked.

Also, I've heard of something called a "thread chaser", that I think is more suited to this purpose because I've heard that it doesn't remove as much material..? I don't know if this is fact or fiction, but I've not been able to find one. I'm sure someone here will chime in. But I do know that the bottom tap will work.

Basic Member
    If your receiver is stripped you will probably need to retap at 8-40 to be proper

savage2014
    can someone please confirm the proper tap for the receiver... thanks

Jeff Custer
    I don't know the proper tpi, diameter, taper and pitch of Savage base screw holes but Brownell's has a scope screw drill and tap kit. It comes with drill, tap and screws. It can be difficult to start a tap straight, if you have no experience doing so you might try and practice first on a piece of steel scrap. http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...t-prod984.aspx

The "proper" tap is 6-48. 8-40 would be used if the threads can't be salvaged with the 6-48.

savage2014
    Quote Originally Posted by barrel-nut View Post
    The "proper" tap is 6-48. 8-40 would be used if the threads can't be salvaged with the 6-48.
    many thanks

savage2014
    Thanks barrel-nut, I have just tapped it with the item you linked.

Good deal! I'm glad to know it didn't need to be re-drilled.

You're welcome my friend. Glad I could help.

savage2014
    Quote Originally Posted by barrel-nut View Post
    You're welcome my friend. Glad I could help.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrThunder88 View Post
    Good deal! I'm glad to know it didn't need to be re-drilled.

my heart beat faster every quarter turn of the tap specially when i feel a "bite"... LOL
    Last edited by savage2014; 11-23-2014 at 12:15 AM.