Thread: Choate Tactical Rifle Stock and Heavy Recoil

Choate Tactical Rifle Stock and Heavy Recoil

Im looking for a new stock for my 300 Win Mag and i know stock design has a lot to do with felt recoil. Can anyone with this stock chime in on it compares to a factory stock or a more traditional sporter stock when it comes to felt recoil.

Im not recoil shy buy 180's at 3150 seem to have a little punch.

A muzzle brake would be the real fix to buying another stock IMHO!
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Basic Member
    Just re-barreled a buddies 110 from 7RM to 300 WM. Recoil felt like a hot loaded 308 to me in the Choate Tactical it was dropped in. The choate stock will help with recoil control, but also should increase accuracy over the factory tupperware type stock.

Basic Member
    In my opinion, a chaote stock manages the recoil better simply do to the weight. So, it's a trade off, what will the gun be used for? At 4+ pounds I wouldn't wanna pack it off into a remote wilderness on an elk hunt. But yes, it will kick less

Luke45
    Had extream cold bore shot issues with mine, with multiple actions in it. They balance well and look real good though, but as londerko said 4 lbs...

Wildboarem
    Any stock that weighs 4lbs compared to a 1lb stock will have less felt recoil. With that said, I have a Choate Tactical, shooting a .260, no brake, no problem. I also have a .300 WBY and would not ever consider shooting it without a brake even if it was in a 4lb stock.

Basic Member
    A good recoil pad can go a long ways to. I put a limbsaver on the aftermarket stock for my 300WM, and it's very manageable now. My stock is heavier than the factory stock but not as heavy as a choate.

D.ID
    The choate tactical has some serious advantages in recoil management.
    1:Weight, as all ready mentioned.
    2:The high straight comb and square heal deliver recoil in a straight line which delivers it very smooth compared to your typical drop heal rifle stock which often delivers recoil down and back causing a more dramatic vertical torque. It is no accident, nor mere cosmetics that manners, mcmillan and a handful of other elite precision rifle stocks all share the same profile.
    3: the choate has a wide recoil pad and works very well.
    I have one on my steep country elk rifle and feel the 3lb 11 oz is completely worth it.