Thread: Weaver tactical or PST?

pipelayerjdh

Weaver tactical or PST?

Apparently, I recently scored one of the last remaining 10FCP-SR's (NIB), and have been looking at scopes. I've done my homework and have narrowed my options to the following two: Weaver tactical 3-15 (800363) and Vortex Viper PST 416F1-M. Obviously, cost came into play. My budget is firm, btw. I've spent countless hours narrowing down my options to just two, and would appreciate any insight.

Does anyone here have any comparison info between these two? If I were to be open to the 6-24 PST, it seems the reviews I've found favor it. I'd rather stay on the lower end of the magnification scale. Reviews of both scopes are gleaming, with the occasional bad experiences being had with both.

Prices are about equal, although I have found the Weaver for nearly $200 less than the Viper. I have had my hands on a SFP PST, and I assume the FFP would be comparable. I wasn't blown away, but it was a nice scope for the money. There is a lot of hype over the Vortex scopes, most heard is the quality is that of scopes priced twice as high. I didn't get that impression with the Viper, although it seemed to be on par for the cost. That does seem to hold true for some of the lower option/cost scopes in their line. I live within driving distance of a Cabella's and Palmetto State Armory, so I've been able to handle some really nice optics, including pretty much everything Vortex has to offer. Unfortunately, I've never had the chance to see the Weaver.

All that said, I've been sold on the PST, and I'm sure I'd be happy with it. However, the Weaver seems to be worth a strong consideration, with 90% of the reviews I've found, giving the optical edge to the Weaver.

Thoughts...and thanks, in advance.

Basic Member
    I have the PST 2 of the 6-24 and a 2.5-10 and love them. Clear glass, track nicely, reticle is just perfect. Give camera land NY a call there sponsors here and have very good pricing.

Basic Member
    If you are going to get a SFP optic and don't need the illuminated recticle you could look at the Vortex Viper HST... Its the same glass as the PST just doesn't have the illuminated recticle. I got mine brand new for around $550

pipelayerjdh
    I'm really wanting FFP, and illumination. Add mil/mil, to the mix, and it really narrows the field under $1000.

Wildboarem
    Owning a weaver 3-15 and handling and reviewing the PST's. The edge on the 3-15 goes to weaver. The 6x24 PST is better glass for whatever reason than the lower mag pst. Burris' XTR2 beats them both in my opinion in that price range. That's what will go on my next rifle. I know you weren't looking for a third but don't know if the xtr2 made it on your radar.

pipelayerjdh
    I did look at the Burris, but reluctantly axed it due to the 30oz weight. The PST is only 22oz, but now that I'm considering the Weaver at 27oz, I guess it could come down to what I find at the best price. I don't think I'll be disappointed by any of the three. First-hand experiences sure help give that extra bit of confidence.

Basic Member
    I have the 1-4 and 6-24 pst. Also had the viper hs 4-16. The hs elevation knob crapped out after a few weeks (vortex warranty covered it) and the 6-24 pst had the focus knob go out (also covered by vortex). Just my experiences. Sightrons have since replaced them. No issues with 1-4 pst.

Zoomworms
    I have a Weaver 3-15 and a Viper HS 4-16 The Weaver is clearer

skypilot
    I have the Vortex 4-16x50 FFP mrad EBR-1 and have been very impressed with the scope. The glass is really good, the zero stop is handy and the .1 mrad clicks and the amount of hold over available before dialing is great and NO Math required.
    Having said that, I've not used the Weaver nor had the Vortex past 350 meters. Here in Banterio Canada the Vortex was in the 900 dollar range, likely much less in the US.

Just for reference if it might help you...the mechanical zero was very close, as in 11 mrad on a total 21 mrad adjustment come up. Similar on windage. With a 20 MOA EGW Picatinny rail and a 100 meter zero with Federal factory 165 Gameking and Fed Factory 168 SMKs(both had same zero) on a Rem 700 SPS Varmint I had 18.8 mrad come up to the stop at top end.

loneranger04
    I've had three PSTs and they were all good scopes. One of the reasons I'm a fanboy of Vortex is their outstanding warranty. If a person is shooting competition there are just so many months and matches every season and if your scope fails it can cost you valuable time getting it fixed. Vortex has a less than 10 day turn around on repairs and they don't care why it broke. Scopes get broke all the time because a shooter leans their rifle up against a wall and it slides down and lands on a turret. Vortex doesn't care how it broke, they just fix it and in less than a couple weeks you're back bangin' steel.
    I bought my first one used, shot it for two years and sold it for what I paid for it and bought a Razor.

Basic Member
    I have 4 of the Weaver 3-15, and one Viper HS-T 4-16 for comparison.

I feel the Weavers are clearer. FFP is great to have (wish I had it on all my scopes), and I think they are solid, well made scopes. For the money they're really hard to beat.

Vortex warrantee is awesome though (never used Weavers, but I've heard they can be a pain to deal with).

I'm sure you'd be happy with either, but cost being equal, personally, I'd go with the Weaver.

Basic Member
    I have a 6-20 Viper that's been back for repairs 2 times in less than 2 years. The elevation knob keeps going out. Other than the failures I like the scope but want buy another Vortex.

Regards, Keith

The Weaver is better glass than the PST, side by side sitting in the blazing summer sun past 1,000 yards shows that immediately.

If you want to save a Buck, the Primary Arms 4-14 FFP mil/mil beats the pants off SWFA's 3-15 for optical clarity, has a wee more adjustment range, and less than half price. That scope isn't as good as the Weaver, but it is close, and you can afford to put FFP's on everything.

I've shot a bit over 800 rounds of Creedmoor ammo through mine this year.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    Optical clarity, IMO is much more subjective than most people realize. Scopes that in a price range are going to compare in clarity as other scopes in that price range. For example, I would have a hard time telling which scope is going to be superior when comparing say the Vortex PST 6-24X50 to the Sightron SIII 6-24X50. There will be a difference when comparing say the Sightron to a Schmidt and Bender.

As far as warranties goes, I've never had to send a higher quality scope back to get work done on it. Go with a reputable brand and you'll be okay.

Carefully consider what kind of shooting you intend to be doing with your rifle. The type of shooting will determine what kind of scope you're going to get. Go with your gut and start shooting!!
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.