Thread: Problem with brand new axis 270

Redseal

Problem with brand new axis 270

Just purchased an axis in 270 win. I bolted a spent cartridge to check the trigger pull and the bolt won't unlock. The bolt rotates freely but won't pull out. Help please

Did the bolt move correctly before you put the shell casing in? When you say the bolt rotates freely, does that mean the bolt body rotates when you lift the bolt handle or does either one move independently? If the bolt handle and body are rotating together and you can lift the handle to its highest point, a short, sharp, buttwards blow to the bolt handle might unstick it. Mortaring it could also do the trick.

Was the brass you used FL resized? Fired brass don't make the best snap caps because they will almost certainly be larger than chamber specs, but one would hope that, even if the case neck was caught in the chamber throat, primary extraction would get it to a point where it could be extracted fully without unusual momentum-based methods.

That said, I don't think the problem is necessarily with the rifle, but rather I suspect the shell casing is the cause.
    Last edited by DrThunder88; 11-05-2014 at 03:28 AM.

Redseal
    The bolt handle and body rotate as they should. The gun is unfired but the bolt appeared to function well . I was just wondering if there could be an alignment problem before I tried force. I did try a sharp blow to the bolt handle but it's still stuck

My money is on misformed case I have had this happen a time or two when not paying attention to the brass I put my rifle for storage. I keep an empty shell in chamber. Get your dead blow hammer out and take you time it will extract by persistantly taping it out. How hard you have to tap will differ. or you can put a lanyard on the bolt handle and tie it to a secure anchor point and just snatch it open.
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

Chances are against an alignment problem. There's nowhere for the bolt assembly to really go other than its raceway and recesses.

If you don't want to go to a mallet right away, have you tried mortaring it? That video is using an AR, but if you keep your strong hand on the open bolt, it should work all the same.

Chances are, you won't generate enough force to damage anything other than the shell casing.

Redseal
    Thanks guys. I'll let you know how it goes

Redseal
    Popped right out tonight. Thanks for all the help guys

savage2014
    good to hear, did you do the "mortaring" trick that DrThunder88 said?