Thread: Savage 11 Hog Hunter Magazine conversion

1911man

Savage 11 Hog Hunter Magazine conversion

Hello All,

I have a Savage 11 Hog Hunter in .308 wearing a Bell&Carlson Medalist stock that I would like to convert to an external DBM style magazine over the factory blind one. I have done some research on the subject and I know the work it will take as far as inletting and things like that. I want to make sure I end up with the correct parts to do the job. I would like to use factory Savage parts since it seems cheaper and easier to do rather than an aftermarket kit for $200+. My question is what factory Savage rifle comes with an external magazine that would be compatible with my Hog Hunter? I am guessing any short action in .308 but I wanted to confirm with others. Also, savage requires me to have the serial number for that rifle in order to purchase the parts online. Anyone know a way around this?

Thank you in advance for the help.

Savage OEM steel bottom bolt release DBM frame: sku 106238
    Savage OEM steel magazine floor plate:sku 106245

Attach the above steel floor plate to the mag well/follower that came with your 11 Hog Hunter and you now have a DBM magazine that will work in the above steel DBM frame.

You can order these parts directly from the Savage Arms website, easily by googling "savagearms ___________" (insert sku number)

The Savage factory DBM frame will fit in a CDI Precision inlet, so you can spend $60 to have Jeff inlet your stock for his bottom metal and simply use the factory metal instead....or you can have Dan @ Dark Eagle Customs (or any other competent gunsmith) do the inlet work for you.

1911man
    Thank you very much sir. I am going to give it a try, I plan on doing the inletting myself.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUP View Post
    Savage OEM steel bottom bolt release DBM frame: sku 106238
    Savage OEM steel magazine floor plate:sku 106245

Attach the above steel floor plate to the mag well/follower that came with your 11 Hog Hunter and you now have a DBM magazine that will work in the above steel DBM frame.

You can order these parts directly from the Savage Arms website, easily by googling "savagearms ___________" (insert sku number)

The Savage factory DBM frame will fit in a CDI Precision inlet, so you can spend $60 to have Jeff inlet your stock for his bottom metal and simply use the factory metal instead....or you can have Dan @ Dark Eagle Customs (or any other competent gunsmith) do the inlet work for you.
    I just picked up a Hog Hunter in .308 and am considering the Boyd's stock that is inletted for the factory Savage DBM. Are these the only two parts I would need to convert over?
    Just a guy.

Are you sure that you want to try to inlet a hog hunter stock? There is more to it than it just fitting. You have depth to worry about as well. There are lots of used DBM stocks out there that can be had for under 100.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Are you sure that you want to try to inlet a hog hunter stock? There is more to it than it just fitting. You have depth to worry about as well. There are lots of used DBM stocks out there that can be had for under 100.
    I would not be inletting the HH's Tupperware stock, as I mentioned I would be using a preinletted Boyd's stock.

I'm trying to decide whether I want to use the Savage DBM and mag system or go right to an Accurate-mag DBM that fits the same rout and AI pattern mags. Budget is a concern, but I don't want to do something stupid just to save $100.