Thread: Burris Scope

SThomas3791

Burris Scope

Anyone have any experience with the Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40mm? I have seen an online price of $150 after rebate and was wondering of its quality. From what I have seen it has rave reviews. I'm looking to replace my Bushnell Trophy XLT on my Axis 308.

I'm a Burris Fan. I have been shooting them for quite a few years and have never had an issue with one. Excellent glass for the money and as you spend more on a scope I'd say for most situations there are diminishing returns past the Fullfield 2.
    I really like the new E1 series as well but the rebates aren't offered on them this year.
    If you need even more magnification the rebate is doubled to $100 back on the 4.5-14x42.
    Good luck, I think you'll like it too.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    I have 2 4.5-14x42 Fullfield II's. Excellent hunting scope. Both with ballistic plex reticle. Very accurate on 223. Shot a few pop cans and pill bottles at 500 yds with it.

I had a fullfield II several years back. The scope was perfectly fine in terms of glass, and construction. What I didn't care for, was the terribly short eye relief.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    I'm a Burris Fan. I have been shooting them for quite a few years and have never had an issue with one. Excellent glass for the money and as you spend more on a scope I'd say for most situations there are diminishing returns past the Fullfield 2.
    I really like the new E1 series as well but the rebates aren't offered on them this year.
    If you need even more magnification the rebate is doubled to $100 back on the 4.5-14x42.
    Good luck, I think you'll like it too.
    +1 on all of this. Great glass for the money.

andrews10
    Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40mm is Soooooooooo great for me. I used it for my hunting a month ago. Wonderful!!!!

SThomas3791
    thanks all for the feedback :)

Basic Member
    +1 on the eye relief. If I were in the market for a 3-9×40 or 50 in that price range I would look at the redfield revolution or the bushnell legend ultra hd to compare with that burris. A man could argue that the redfield may be the best 3-9 out there for the money, it's every bit as clear or clearer than the burris, has a good eye box, and a great warranty. But the burris is a great scope and if quality is your concern it's top notch quality

SThomas3791
    correct me if i'm wrong on this please. i understand that "eye relief" basically is the distance between the eyepiece and the shooters eye. this distance is more a matter of comfort level correct? shorter eye relief just means you have to position your eye closer to the eyepiece for optimum effectiveness? i know this may pose a problem for some shooters due to comfort and a possible mishap with black eyes if they are not careful? am i understanding this correctly?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SThomas3791 View Post
    correct me if i'm wrong on this please. i understand that "eye relief" basically is the distance between the eyepiece and the shooters eye. this distance is more a matter of comfort level correct? shorter eye relief just means you have to position your eye closer to the eyepiece for optimum effectiveness? i know this may pose a problem for some shooters due to comfort and a possible mishap with black eyes if they are not careful? am i understanding this correctly?
    Yep. and for hunting situations, a short / critical eye relief can cause a missed opportunity for a shot if you are not able to hold perfectly due to sitting/standing/kneeling/contorted position, heavy clothing etc. It's nice to be able to just pull up and shoot without struggling to find an image in your scope.

Basic Member
    Not just comfort, it's the amount t of forgiveness from being too close or too far away. The burris' s sweet spot isn't as large as some of the other scopes in my experience with them. Still fine scopes .

I love my Burris FFII scopes we have 5 of them. I think they are the best scope on the market for the money.
    I have never had an issue with the eye relief on any of them. That is shooting 3006 and 7mm RemMag.
    You don't 'find' the image 'in' a scope. It's not in there! If you are struggling with the eye relief, either your rifle is not set up properly for you, you're not using it properly, or a combination of both.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TaxedinMaine View Post
    I love my Burris FFII scopes we have 5 of them. I think they are the best scope on the market for the money.
    I have never had an issue with the eye relief on any of them. That is shooting 3006 and 7mm RemMag.
    You don't 'find' the image 'in' a scope. It's not in there! If you are struggling with the eye relief, either your rifle is not set up properly for you, you're not using it properly, or a combination of both.
    Or the scope has too narrow or critical of area for eye relief, as stated earlier. Some scopes allow you to get fairly close and still see as well as fairly far back. These would be considered generous, non critical. I prefer scopes with this broader range of tolerance.

Basic Member
    With all that said a burris is as tough as nails. Great glass for the money, not sure it's the "best" scope for the money but they are well built. The original question was about quality, and I don't think the op would be disappointed at all with that.