Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Savage b-mag solution

kapt

Cool Savage b-mag solution

Purchased a Savage B-Mag in 17 WSM which had a Boyds stock already on it.. SHOT LIKE CRAP !!! The barrel has about a 1" section 8" back from the muzzel where the cleaning patch would jump free and then tighten back up after passing that section.
    Ordered a Green Mountain barrel and proceeded to install it. Right off I noticed the action was .025 out of true. Trued the action and installed the barrel. First group off the bench was under 1/2" except for the one flyer which was my fault since I was so excited about the improvement. Will do more testing after sorting some ammo.

I have always heard a picture is worth a thousand words.. http://s1240.photobucket.com/user/kapt51/slideshow/

THEY CAN BE MADE TO SHOOT....

bremereric
    Thanks for posting. Can't believe an aftermarket barrel is already made. They will make lots of money replacing everyone's flimsy barrels.

As far as I know GM only sells blanks, so Who Machined the barrel?

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

bremereric
    Me too, I looked on their site but maybe they don't have it listed yet.

kapt
    Sorry for the confusion. I got a 1x9 SS blank and turned it to .800 and machined it myself. Simple with the threaded head space adjustment they have once I got everything trued up.
    Some of this borrowed from another post..
    Dis-assemble the rifle down to the receiver / barrel group. Looking at the bottom of the receiver at the barrel end you must remove the stud which is used to hold the stock to the receiver and it also holds a magazine attachment part. Alongside of this stud are two Allen head screws that must be removed. These screws are used to lock the barrel in place. Lock the barrel in a vise using rubber around it to hold in place. The receiver will screw off with very little effort.

Apparently a little thread lock was on the threads of the barrel but there is no crush fit of the barrel to the receiver involved. The barrel thread is 20 tpi.

Removed barrel : http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/...relremoved.jpg
    Last edited by kapt; 08-24-2014 at 07:16 PM.

sparky123321
    Guessing you could make a pretty good living replacing Bmag barrels.

savagetoter
    Savage has always been known for their accurate rifles, but this Bmag rifle seems to be problematic from the get-go. Nice job on your rifle.

I'm sure leery about buying one of these Savage rifles now! I guess I'll stick to the 17 HMR.

Basic Member
    I have the BMag solution.

Pick up BMag(make sure it's unloaded)
    Find large tree
    Wrap Rifle around tree.
    Go Home
    Realize how much happier you are.
    There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can do math and those who can't

Basic Member
    Local dealer has a BMag for $300 (in Canada) but after reading all the horror stories about this gun I think I'll continue my Savage boycott !

rona
    You may get lucky and get a good one but the next problem is ammo. Even the dealers that used to get some are coming up empty handed.

jugchoke
    Have a heavy barreled one on order. Already 3 weeks and haven't heard squat, or been charged as yet.
    I hope the accuracy problem, or at least some part of it was the early ammo.
    Heard that the guys with chronographs found big time velocity differences.
    Apparently, they have started loading ammo again, at least some starting to show up here now, and hopefully, they fixed the problem.
    That was a long dry spell, when I was worried about ammo, but looks like the drought has broken.

I have had another gun on order for months, (AR type), but got tired of waiting, so ordered the heavy bbl when I found it on sale, along with included 3/9/40mm scope, (cheapie, I am sure), and one box of ammo.

bremereric

jugchoke
    Quote Originally Posted by bremereric View Post
    Exactly what I have had on order for sometime now.
    Should be coming in about another two weeks now.
    Might be a toss up as to which comes first, the Franklin, or the heavy barrel B Mag that I ordered but haven't heard squat on.
    It was on sale, and included a 3/9 scope, (cheap I am sure), and a box of ammo.

At least, I am starting to pick up some ammo.
    At first, I was afraid I might have made a mistake, not being able to find anything for some weeks, but suddenly, it's available, sort of anyway, again!

Quote Originally Posted by jugchoke View Post
    That was a long dry spell, when I was worried about ammo, but looks like the drought has broken.
    Wish I could agree with you. I still can't find .17 WSM anywhere locally. And due to the inane laws imposed by our imperialist governor, I couldn't mail order ammo even if I could find it online.
    Jim

jugchoke
    Sorry Jim!
    Was bad here for months, not a sign of any, except one box at a 30 mile away WM. Missed that one, being #4 in line, #2 got it for $14.77!

Then found some at a distant gun shop, snagged 4 at $19.99.
    Then, a more local shop, 5 at $17.99, and finally some at a newly opened Academy within 20 miles, for $15.99. About 50/50 on bullet weights.
    Gonna hit them again in the AM.

jugchoke
    Well, today makes 3 in a row, stop-byes, and coming up dry!
    Only one previously.
    15 miles one way, but usually on another errand in the area anyway.
    Today, it was the wife to the emergency room.
    7 hours, but she came home feeling much better.
    It had been building up for 3 weeks and just kept getting worse and worse.
    She had been to the doc twice, and lost over 20 pounds, nothing had been figured out, and today it became
    a must do! Turns out that it was apparently her diabetes not letting her keep anything down.

rona
    Quote Originally Posted by jugchoke View Post
    Well, today makes 3 in a row, stop-byes, and coming up dry!
    Only one previously.
    15 miles one way, but usually on another errand in the area anyway.
    Today, it was the wife to the emergency room.
    7 hours, but she came home feeling much better.
    It had been building up for 3 weeks and just kept getting worse and worse.
    She had been to the doc twice, and lost over 20 pounds, nothing had been figured out, and today it became
    a must do! Turns out that it was apparently her diabetes not letting her keep anything down.
    Glad they found your wife's problem and are able to help her. Its always a relief when they say they can help someone because as we get older we start seeing friends and family get the message, Sorry, we have done all we can.
    It sort of is a reminder of where our priorities should be. I to am a owner of B-Mag and had the same frustrations with bad rifle and no ammo and it sort of soured my attitude until I realized if it was the only disappointment in my life I had a pretty good life.

bremereric
    My local Carter's Country is my only source right now. I picked up to more boxes today when I went shooting with my Wife.

jugchoke
    Well, the wife still needed more apparently, our regular doc upped the dosage by 50% and doubled her anti-acid med.
    Now doing even better, but still not normal.

Back to the WSM .17.
    Still no sign of the Franklin F .17 L as yet. Should be real close now.

But still haven't got out to sight in the B-Mag HB either.
    Between the wife and the constant rain, just hasn't worked out.
    The yard is a swamp and the creek way up!

Running dry as of late on finding more ammo, but have already laid in a pretty good stock.
    Just got to get to burning some of it up.

jugchoke
    Got her sighted in today.
    Think it's a keeper.
    Anxious to get the Franklin Armory AR in hand to do some comparison.

Just got an E-mail from Volquartsen today, saying that they are now planning on starting shipments of their blow back operated auto loader in this caliber early next month. Glad I found the Franklin locked breech AR before I ordered one.

Basic Member
    Any idea what the Vq will cost?

Basic Member
    from what I have seen depending on the model you get around $1850.00 to $2200.00

I wouldn't mind having a Franklin AR but they around a grand I believe

rona
    Got a e-mail from them with their price list It ranges from 1875.00 to 2108.00 They aren't bashful are they? Speaking for myself I have a hard time spending that kind of money for something that shoots a shell that may become obsolete. But I admit I don't have as many years left that I could use it so I probably look at it different then the younger crowd.

Basic Member
    I'll have to wait and see if any other manufacturers come out with a "reasonably" priced 17.... and one that you're not embarrassed to own.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast