Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Axis 223 15rd mag DIY

Axis 223 15rd mag DIY

magpul 30rd mag from academy $12 and a 4 finishing nails and some dremel time

and here is a video of me cycling all 15 rounds out of it and yes it works every time

http://youtu.be/-TR97bvqCqM
    Last edited by nathantc; 11-03-2014 at 11:56 PM.

savage2014
    Nice, I will do this mod when I have time...
    those guys selling the 10 and 15 rounders will hate you...

Basic Member
    Looks great!!
    AXIS 7mm-08 , 22-250

jrose361
    would like more info on how you made the 2 work

ok it was simple, cut the pmag, take the floor plate off the savage mag, line everything up and pin it with finishing nails, trim nails with dremel, modify pmag follower to fit high enough in the savage mag for the last round, and trim off the entire bolt catch piece on the pmag follower so it fits in the savage mag
    trip the plastic spacer on the savage mag so the pmag would fit flush, cut the savage floor plate to fit trim the locking tabs on it to fit with the new pins shorten the pmag spring and done pretty ez really

oh and use a cut off wheel with the dremel to make a flap at the front of the savage mag to bend back and shorten so that it works as a ramp to make sure the rounds are pushed back into the pmag for a smooth flowing mag

one more thing how do i get email notifications on this site,, had no idea any one commented and ill try and get more detailed pix in a few

ok some pix of the flap you need to cut and bend to make it flow smooth

the shortened mag spring

the floor plate soon to be filled in with epoxy for strength being as this is all that holds the mag into the rifle,, no issues yet but dont want any

and finally probably the most important part if you want that very last round to feed here is the follower

i suck at explaining how i do things and being that this was the first ever one i did with my only mag for this rifle it took about 4 hours to get right so that would have been a long video
    Last edited by nathantc; 01-29-2015 at 02:06 PM.

ok got the email notifications working

next rifle i buy will be the axis 308 and will be using pmag 308 mags to do this exact same thing to it

RonboF117
    Good for you! Love the good 'ol American ingenuity.

lol yup or good old american boredom and to much time staring at a cheap rifle that shoots awesome and wanting to tweak it a lil,, like my new craftsman bolt handle i just made a few hours ago

the mag and handle are going to look very nice in the boyds pro varmint (tacticool) stock when i get it, only down side is i got to do all this all over again when i get another axis in 308,, that way i can have both a .223 and 308 that look, feel, and weigh the exact same with the exact same trigger pull,, so much nicer than getting use to two different rifles

savage2014
    ahhh, I see you're the same guy who did the "screw driver" mod.. LOL

yup thats me lol, figure you can get handles like that in so many shapes and sizes for next to nothing just about any where so why not give it a shot,, its not like it would kill me to replace the bolt handle for a new one if it wouldnt have worked out

savage2014
    yeah, to me if it works, it's good. I wish savage made the tip screw on so we can just replace it easily.

Scoped.22
    nathantc I need one for my 308! That's so cool

dont see why it wouldnt work with a 308 pmag doing the exact same thing,, im getting a 308 next, its just taking me a while to get it and im doing this for the 308 as soon as i get it, its pretty simple to do and i thought about making these for people but the cost of just the mags is close to $60 before tax,, so now i know why the other guy on here is charging so much

Basic Member
    Your modified mag looks great. I may have to attempt to do that to my 300BO Axis. If I sent you a 223 Axis mag...would you do the mod for me and if yes, how much?

no idea, wasnt planning on doing it for others, just showing how to do it, dont honestly want to be responsible if for some reason i make a mistake with some one elses mag

Basic Member
    are the finishing nails glued into the plastic clip? how did you get them to stay in tight getting ready to try this out :)

also is there a reason you shortened the magpul clip up to a 15 rounder? or just wanted that many Thanks

CarolinaShooter
    I'm not very crafty, but I think I'll give this a try with a .308, I just wonder if the .308 PMAG will be too big.

Basic Member
    got a 30rd mag ordered so here we go :) I have 4 clips for my axis so I hate to screw one up but wth

Basic Member
    well it came out pretty good :)

Basic Member
    the only thing I did different was instead of 4 finish nails I used 4 small computer screws for plastic with a tapered point to start with and pre drilled the hole, after I treaded it in a ways I ground the point off the screw and put them back in until they just started to come thru the plastic and then cut the heads off. got to fill the small gap around the plastic base with some jb weld to make it a little more solid

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    I used the ProMag RUG-A1 (Mini-14) magazine for the ones I made. It's blue steel and a little thinner to allow for longer bullets. The follower fits right in, too.

'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Basic Member
    kinda wondered about that :) I have a new Promag 30 rounder laying upstairs, may have to make another that will hold more, it could be braised to the Savage clip instead of pinned, or tack mig it

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Get one of these:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/welding/spot-welders.html
    They come in real handy for a number of things and they're inexpensive, replaceable tips and fun to play with.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast