Thread: 1954 Savage 99R stock care

Red House

1954 Savage 99R stock care

Hi folks. I just joined and wish to extend my appreciation for the forum. I'm a long time member of several other gun forums and have been shooting since I got my first rifle, a Marlin/Glenfield Model 60 in 1972 bought at K-Mart when I was 14.

On to business. This rifle is a 1954 in beautiful condition and well cared for but I'd like to give the stock some love. What does the membership recommend? I'm not quite sure what the finish on the stock is. It's very light whatever it is, almost seems like a tung oil finish. If so I'm thinking Tom's 1/3 Mix for it. Does anybody know what finish Savage used in the mid-50's? Perhaps a carnuba or bee's wax treatment is all that's needed.

Does anybody have a particular wax brand/product they would use?

Last edited by Red House; 11-30-2014 at 01:41 AM.

Basic Member
    That's beautiful. Can't help you on the care. That one looks a little dry alright, don't want to steer you wrong.

That sure is purty.....i use "old west snake oil " used by several on 24hourcampfire site www.oldwestsnakeoil.com

Basic Member
    Ordered some snake oil Sat and received it yesterday. Tried it out on an older Remington 22. the finish looks similar to your 99. I was amazed at how well it came out. I will be spendinf quite a bit of time on my older guns with this stuff over the next couple of weeks...........A big thumbs up for snake oil.

BTW if you call them and order both formulas together he will combine the shipping.....a very good guy BTW
    There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can do math and those who can't