Thread: My 99's are reproducing!

My 99's are reproducing!

Against my better judgement I went back to the gun show today as I was kind of hoping to find a JM-stamped Marlin in .44 Magnum. In the process of making my rounds I stumbled across two 99's that I hadn't seen yesterday - both in .300 Savage. Suffice to say, one ended up coming home with me - an 1899 TD model that I believe to date to 1924. Serial # is 258145, there's just an "S" on the lever boss, and the barrel stamping is Utica, NY with 5 different patent dates (newest being 1909).

Here's the pics...

Now the one I bought last spring won't be so lonely.

"Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Nice addition.

I became an owner of a Savage 99 in .300 Savage (also takedown) this year too, and I can't wait to take it out for deer hunting on November 1st. I'm also partial to the straight-stocks too.

Tight groups.

Old No7
    "Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other!"

I'm still wanting one in .30-30 and one in .250-3000 Savage, but every single one I see around here is in .300 Sav.

One guy had a really nice 99 there from the late 1930's that had to of been a deluxe model or a special order from the factory. Way out of my price range at $3,200 but it was nice to drool over for a few minutes. haha
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

JCalhoun
    99's are rarely seen for sale around here in any condition.

That's how it's always been around here as well until this year. I've seen more in the last two Lima shows I've gone to than I have in 10 years worth of Lima shows.

Basic Member
    Your experience is my experience also. I started with a, F, then bought a .300. I was looking at a semi-octagonal barreled .303 in Cabelas last weekend. Had been refinished but in good shape overall... but at nearly $900, out of my league. And Since I am a shooter, probably hard to reload for.

GM4WALLS
    Next time they breed, send me one of the offspring!!

bbqncigars
    Funny one should mention Cabela's. The last time I was at the Owatonna location an early 1899 (serial # in mid seventy thousand) went home with me for $500. It had been carefully and completely refinished. The original sights replaced with an old Weaver scope, and crescent butt plate replaced by recoil pad. I'm a sucker for tapered octagonal barrels, but disliked the original chambering of 30-30. I prefer 38-55. The gun was rebored to that round, and I modified the carrier (pics later) to accommodate the longer cartridge. I plan on hitting the range with it this Saturday.

FancyFred
    I inherited one and then fell in love with a 99 with factory scope mounts. I added a vintage Weaver K-3 to it and took off the crappy/broken Pachmayr pad (poorly installed) and put a british Galazan fitted by my favorite gunsmith. He claims to have installed over 1000 recoil pads in his years. I believe him.

C Broad Arrow
    Quote Originally Posted by FancyFred View Post
    I inherited one and then fell in love with a 99 with factory scope mounts. I added a vintage Weaver K-3 to it and took off the crappy/broken Pachmayr pad (poorly installed) and put a british Galazan fitted by my favorite gunsmith. He claims to have installed over 1000 recoil pads in his years. I believe him.
    That is how I fell in love with my 30-30. I just inherited one as well. [IMG][/IMG]

I've been looking high and low for a good, well cared for 99 in .30-30 for a reasonable price, but no luck so far. All I seem to be able to find are ones that were beat to hell and back and the sellers still want $800-1,000 for them, or I if I do find one in relatively good shape they want $1,500+ for it.

Oscarflytyer
    Hvae two, an old beat up 284 Win that played truck gun in East TX for a long time and has the scares to show for it, and other is a near pristine '50s 300 Savage. Love them both. The 284 was a trade with a buddy of mine in TX and the 300 I found here (AL). They are very rare around here usually. This one showed up at a show and hadn't been with the guy for an hour when I traded for it.