Thread: New Guy from NYS Southern Tier, Trying to decide: 111 Hunter XP vs Trophy Hunter XP?

ebt19

Post New Guy from NYS Southern Tier, Trying to decide: 111 Hunter XP vs Trophy Hunter XP?

Just getting into the rifle side of hunting, I've been shotgun hunting for 4 years (deer and turkey). I have chance to buy either the 111 Hunter XP or Trophy Hunter XP (both are .270 caliber). (I hope I am getting the names of each model right; so much info out there on these guns!)

Trying to get a solid read on which would be better overall purchase; my research shows Pros for both and some cons. I am not looking to upgrade my purchase any time soon, but also want to purchase a rifle that can lead to lots of choices and mods when upgrading. Uses will be: deer, coyote and occasional target shooting. As I have researched more on the trigger, the Accutrigger gets more and more thumbs up from me.

1. I'm not too enthused about the plastic clip on the magazine for the Trophy Hunter series; same mag as Axis series and costs about $35-40 to replace.
    • The Hunter comes with the nice metal clip and release.
    • Can I upgrade this on the Trophy to a better magazine setup and get bottom metal on the stock for the magazine?
    • For now I may just buy an extra magazine if the original snaps while out in cold.

2. I've researched that I can remove the barrel from the Hunter to change calibers. Can I do this as well with the Trophy Hunter?

3. Scopes, the Trophy Hunter comes with a nicer scope (Nikon) vs the Bushnell.

4. Which is best for upgrading?

Currently the price point for each is: Hunter XP $425 (no rebate offer) and Trophy Hunter XP $495 ($75 rebate = $420)

Botton line, which would be the smarter, long range purchase? Thank you to all in advance for replies.

Basic Member
    Welcome to the forum.

I will answer what I can.

#2: All Savage rifles of any style can be easily swapped, and they are all interchangeable. The only distinction is whether is it large shank or small shank. As a general rule, all Short Mag calibers are large shank, the rest are normally small shank. (this is not absolute. Determine first what your action requires and then proceed. Hunters and Trophy Hunters of standard calibers are standard shank). Keep in mind all Savage barrels are of the same quality. The only differences are the dimensions, rate of twist, SS or Blued and whether they are threaded for a muzzle brake.) Depending upon the catridge you are swapping for, you may need to also swap bolt heads when changing barrels. ALso, keep in mind long action cartridges can only be used on long actions. Short action cartridges can be used on bot long and short actions. Therefore if youstart with a long action receiver, you will have the flexibility to use long or short action cartridges in the future.

3. The Nikon is a better scope. Both are perfectly adequate for hunting 0-300 yards.

4. Models that use the Axis style Mags are not a easily upgraded as standard metal-framed 10/110 style mags. I would not recommend Trophy Hunter for someone planning to upgrade the magazine system. Overall, the rifle is a fine product "as is", however.

My personal opinion about the best, long range purchase would actually be either an older, used 10/110 model with top bolt release or a Hog Hunter.

Team Savage
    Welcome aboard