Just getting into the rifle side of hunting, I've been shotgun hunting for 4 years (deer and turkey). I have chance to buy either the 111 Hunter XP or Trophy Hunter XP (both are .270 caliber). (I hope I am getting the names of each model right; so much info out there on these guns!)

Trying to get a solid read on which would be better overall purchase; my research shows Pros for both and some cons. I am not looking to upgrade my purchase any time soon, but also want to purchase a rifle that can lead to lots of choices and mods when upgrading. Uses will be: deer, coyote and occasional target shooting. As I have researched more on the trigger, the Accutrigger gets more and more thumbs up from me.

1. I'm not too enthused about the plastic clip on the magazine for the Trophy Hunter series; same mag as Axis series and costs about $35-40 to replace.
  • The Hunter comes with the nice metal clip and release.
  • Can I upgrade this on the Trophy to a better magazine setup and get bottom metal on the stock for the magazine?
  • For now I may just buy an extra magazine if the original snaps while out in cold.

2. I've researched that I can remove the barrel from the Hunter to change calibers. Can I do this as well with the Trophy Hunter?

3. Scopes, the Trophy Hunter comes with a nicer scope (Nikon) vs the Bushnell.

4. Which is best for upgrading?

Currently the price point for each is: Hunter XP $425 (no rebate offer) and Trophy Hunter XP $495 ($75 rebate = $420)

Botton line, which would be the smarter, long range purchase? Thank you to all in advance for replies.