Thread: Me and My Old Savage 99 went out for a walk . . .

Thumbs Up Me and My Old Savage 99 went out for a walk . . .

Me and My Old Savage 99...

Went out for a long walk in the Maine Woods today; and it didn't hurt that it was the Deer Season opener. We didn't see anything worth shooting, but that would have been a bonus for us anyway.

Here's my old 1938 Savage 99-F again (have posted about it here before). Per the expert Savage Historian in Mass who recently "factory lettered" this old rifle for me, it is a "Savage 99-F Lightweight Takedown; not to be confused with the 1955 Model 99-F or the 1899-F." Interestingly, the copy of the 1938 Jobbers Price List he sent me (since mine was made/shipped that year) says the rifle's weight is 7.5 pounds... (Wait a second, I thought it was a "lightweight"?)

She sure carried well in the woods, regardless of the actual weight... You can't beat a day -- even a soggy wet one -- when it's spent out in the woods in the company of Mother Nature, blued steel & walnut, woolen red & black-checkered hunting clothes, and the required Hunter Orange... The wet wool does gets a little heavy, but does indeed stay warm even while wet...

Turns out that shortly after 8AM (we started at oh-dark-thirty), that the iron sights was a great idea...

I found where a beaver had been pretty busy, and all 3 of these next pix use the Savage 99-F for scale. All of these were found within 20 feet of the other, and he started off on the small size...

Then he moved up just a little in size...

...and then Wow -- Mr. Beaver got REALLY ambitious with this one!!! Man, that's a whole lot of bark and wood to chew!

And then, about an hour later -- still raining -- the best part of the day's "hunt", was finding THIS!!!

Boy, that sure would have made a great photo op, to drape a BIG 'OL BUCK across the hood of that old car, with the old Savage resting in its antlers!!!

Ah well, I can dream, can't I... Gee, maybe next week?!?!

Tight groups.

Old No7
    "Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other!"

ermad
    Awesome pics. Good luck hunting

A classic beauty for sure.

Nice, hard to find the early F's with checkering, hope you wiped her down with an oily cloth after you got it home.
    Savage- "never say never".

Love that last pic!!