Thread: Savage model 12 FCV vs model 16 FCNS

Officerdare

Savage model 12 FCV vs model 16 FCNS

Need some help. Really torn between getting the 12FCV with its 26” barrel or getting the 16 FCsS with its 22” barrel in the 223. I know the 12FCV weighs in at 9# and the other at 6.9# but looking for accuracy and varmint shooting. Suggestions or experiences? Currently have a Savage in 243 that I still have not been able to get a group under 3/4” with its 22” barrel, no matter what bullet, powder, primer combo I have tried, so looking at the 223 as an option for some long range shooting for coyotes in eastern WA.

If you want precision, try and avoid pencil sporter barrels. Depending on when you cone to this side, and what you call "long range" 223's struggle in or daily winds with varmint bullets.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Officerdare
    Quote Originally Posted by darkker View Post
    If you want precision, try and avoid pencil sporter barrels. Depending on when you cone to this side, and what you call "long range" 223's struggle in or daily winds with varmint bullets.
    Thanks for the info. Mostly along the Snake River area north of Pomeroy. Looking at shots ranging from 200 - 400 yds given the Palouse terrain. New at this so exploring best options. Like the idea of the longer 26” barrel, but the 9# weight would be a bit much once a scope and/or bipod is attached. The 22” FCSS looks like a better option for getting out into the draws and plateau’s. Heading to the range today to try some 55 and 70gr loads in a 243 Weatherby and see how they group.

I just realized how butchered the auto-correct got my first post...
    Pomeroy / Grangeville gets some serious wind. I personally don't like the 40-55gr bullets in the 223 for that.
    Certainly not a deal breaker, just not my cup of tea.

Weight is rather personalized, so I wish you the best. I walk sections in deer season with Painless, my 19# 308; so to each his own.

Best Wishes.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Team Savage
    i have a new fcv ,,, yet to shoot it,,, it is a bit barrel heavy,,,,,fiy,,,,, also,,, remember the model 12 varmints have a trigger adjustable down to around 1.5 lbs pull if that a feature you might be interested in