Thread: help with model 99A

help with model 99A

Picked up a savage model 99A today in a deal.has the following, no checkering on stock, rear stock is straight (not pistol grip like), markings on butt plate and butt stock are matching 7 B A P, can not find any marking on forearm. It has the shnabel (not sure of spelling) forearm, tang safety, small raised button in front of the tang safety. Serial number is on left side of receiver and is A681xxx.. on the barrel "underside" in front of receiver is stamped "B" on 1 side and almost seems like a horse shoe symbol on other side. Has savage 99 A stamped on the side just below where front scope mounts are, and the letter "Z" under that.sorry so long but wanted to make sure I got everything. . Any info greatly appreciated also the is my 2nd 300 savage sounds like the start of a "collection" ..lol

Also I just noticed the barrel on the 99A is only 19" not sure if that helps. I also could not find any markings in the lever area..thanks. any help with year and whatever else info wise would be appreciated
    Last edited by 99300; 02-07-2015 at 01:42 PM. Reason: misspell

Made in 1971, you won't find a date code on it, it's a Westfield, not a Chicopee.

The barrel is a 20", you have to add on the 1" that sits inside the receiver.
    Savage- "never say never".

Thank you appreciate it

Basic Member
    99A in 300 not at all common.

So these aren't that common in 300?. I thought these were the most common made.....

Nope, the 300 was a hard one to find, they made more in 308 and 250 than they did in 300.
    Savage- "never say never".

Basic Member
    I've seen one of these before, sweet rifle. Good pick-up.

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.