Thread: Weather Warrior Weaver scope bases.

Hallbilly

Weather Warrior Weaver scope bases.

Hi Folks,

Just bought a new Weather Warrior LH in .223".
    It is an unfired ex display rifle and still can't believe that I got it for half price (Don't worry, took it to my Gun Smith mate who confirmed that it's all good).
    It came with Weaver bases, rings and a Simmons scope. I'm not familiar with the scope so intend swapping it for one of my old understood dependable ones.

My problem is that the bases and rings appear to be out of line with each other.
    One base looks like it's higher by about 1/64" and they don't appear to be parallel with each other by about the same amount.
    With the rings in place but with no caps and the scope in place, when I lightly clamp one cap the other end of the scope rises about 1/32" off the other ring base.
    I'm not familiar with Weaver gear but this can't be good.
    The front and rear bases are both 48046's, according to the book the front should be a 46 and the rear a 61. The 46 and 61 appear to have the same height, just that the 61 is longer.

Not familiar with Weaver and not familiar with individual bases, for the reason that they must be more prone to misalignment than one piece.

Question :
    1. Have I got the bases right or should I fit a 61 ?
    2. Is this misalignment about right for this gear ?
    3. Should I just go and fit a one piece rail ?

Thank for your time,

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Found the problem ! and may be why I got this rifle so cheap !
    The receiver outside diameter has been ground a bit roughly, there are discernible high points and low points.
    The top of the receiver is not level with itself over it's entire length.
    The back of the receiver top face drops by .010" quite abruptly, therefore when the rear base is attached it leans backward by a noticeable amount.
    By temporarily placing a .010" shim under the outer edge of the rear base everything has sorted itself out.
    Last edited by Hallbilly; 10-31-2014 at 03:29 AM. Reason: Found problem

Basic Member
    You might want to go to a one piece base and bed it.

Hallbilly
    Thanks olddav,
    For the time being I've done a quick job with shimming that I'm happy to live with so I can get onto the range and play with my new toy.
    I'm an ex toolmaker and still have a good lathe & mill in the shed, so performing more permanent acts of vandalism is not far away.

Basic Member
    Let the milling begin!

Hallbilly
    Hi olddav,

I really had to fight the temptation to mill the top of the receiver flat, will wait until the rifle is at least one year old before I revisit such thinking.
    I've machined my our one piece weaverish rail, made a plastic replica of the receiver along with .010" drop away and lapped the base to match.
    This rail fits like a glove and may be as far as I go.
    I really, really like this rifle, can't get over how comfortable I am with it.