Thread: New member from down under.

Hallbilly

New member from down under.

Hi Folks,

Never owned a Savage until getting a new Weather Warrior a few days ago.
    So now that I'm an owner I can legitimately join up and see what's happening.
    Haven't fired it for real as yet, just a couple of shots in the wood shed (Live rural) interspersed with cleaning as part of the preliminary shooting in process.
    If the weather holds out, hope to sight it in this weekend (It might be a Weather Warrior, I'm much softer).

Thanks for your time,
    Regards.

Team Savage
    Welcome to the site

Welcome
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)
    You don't know what you don't know.

Welcome aboard!

Of course we are curious about your caliber and hunting or target plans!

Welcome
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Hallbilly
    I apologize JASmith, it's a lefty .223".
    This purchase is quite a milestone for me for two reasons.
    1. I'm right handed but the right eye has been kaput since I was a kid, so I had to adapt very quickly to shooting lefty with righty rifles. This is my first L/H rifle and because I've been shooting with the bolt knob on the other side for decades I'm not sure how I'm going to get on with this setup.
    2. I've never owned or possibly ever fired a centre fire that was smaller than .300", I'm really looking forward to something that shoots flat and doesn't try and tear my shoulder off.
    My Daughter has a farm where the rabbits have begun running at a 100 yards contact and don't look over their shoulder, 308 gets the job done but it's not sporting or good eating.
    Also haven't shot a deer, pig or goat at over a 100 yard for years, besides I don't like carrying any longer so tend to go for the smaller tastier ones.
    I have high hopes for this rifle and calibre, think it's going to fit my new environment.
    Last edited by Hallbilly; 11-02-2014 at 04:00 AM.

Many thanks for the description!

The .223 is indeed a popular cartridge for the goals you set. It is surprisingly pleasant to shoot in a bolt action.

I have, however, seen serious meat damage on small animals when using 55 grain varmint or match bullets. Your medium game seems to fit within the weight classes for bullets compatible with the .223 Remington. See, for example this discussion on the Ideal Bullet Weight.

What twist rate does your rifle have? Knowing that, one can get a rough idea of how heavy one can go. Hopefully, it is tight enough that you can use bullets weighing more than 60 grains and possibly a weight and construction that allows one bullet to be used for all of your shooting. It won't matter under 100 yards, but you will be well-served by knowing where the bullet will go for those odd shots beyond about 250 yards.

Welcome from NE Michigan.
    USAF 1966 to 1972 KC-135, C-130 and B-52 D and H " We Deliver "

Hallbilly
    Thank you folks for the kind greetings.

JASmith thanks for the info.
    This rifle has a 1in9 twist, my research points me toward 55 grain, which suits me for the time being as I'm intrigued with velocity rather than mass.
    I see myself walking paddocks and bush line with this rifle popping rabbits at 200 yards, if a goat sticks his head up then all the better (I like curried goat).
    Keep the 180 grainers for the bush.

My 222 Rem Mag with 14 twist likes target bullets in 52 & 53 grains.

Have you looked at the Barnes TTSX for those times when you're going after something heavier than about 55 lb (25 kg).
    Last edited by JASmith; 11-02-2014 at 09:01 AM.

Hallbilly
    Hi JASmith,
    I like this rifle.
    Took it to the range, after a bit of zeroing, cleaning and getting some copper onto the bore it ended up consistently making holes appear in nice tight clusters.
    I'm aiming at being 1" high at 100 yards, therefore about 1" low at 200.
    Usual frustrations "How did that hole end up way over there ?", but this rifle has already proven that it will shoot straighter than my ability to aim, so can't ask for better than that.
    Already corned a goat, but I stuffed around to much, the animal got bored and walked off.

Quote Originally Posted by Hallbilly View Post
    Hi JASmith,
    I like this rifle.
    Took it to the range, after a bit of zeroing, cleaning and getting some copper onto the bore it ended up consistently making holes appear in nice tight clusters.
    I'm aiming at being 1" high at 100 yards, therefore about 1" low at 200.
    Usual frustrations "How did that hole end up way over there ?", but this rifle has already proven that it will shoot straighter than my ability to aim, so can't ask for better than that.
    Already corned a goat, but I stuffed around to much, the animal got bored and walked off.
    That is a very comfortable zero, and will help you make some very interesting recreational shots and to rather precisely place the bullet when meat hunting.

I have come around to a zero of 1.5" at 100 yards (for discussion see Point Blank Range Revisited) but agree that the 1" high is excellent if you plan to keep your shooting within 200 yards.

Have you run a trajectory calculator for your favorite bullet weight and some alternative weights?

Hallbilly
    As I'm not interested in long range or high volume shooting, I'll probably be quite happy sticking with off the shelf ammo.
    The most accurate/available ammo for my remaining 308 is Remington and interesting this 223 appears to be going down the same path.
    Out to 200 yards both Remington 55 and 69 grainers appear to have very similar flight characteristics, what difference there is will not show up as I hope I'm a reasonable shot, but not a expert.
    As far as I'm concerned out to 200 yards the 223 is a flat shooter and so is the 308, within this range I not interested in adjusting for fall.
    For me the old steam driven 303 at 200 yards is also a flat shooter. When you're cold and wet, 2" high at the halfway mark and 2" low at 200 yards is still flat shooting as long as a kill is a kill.
    Last edited by Hallbilly; 11-11-2014 at 02:44 PM.