Thread: High gloss stock

Curtis

High gloss stock

Got my new factory savage 111 stock in mail today from Numrich stock is a beautiful walnut but on satin side what is best way to get high gloss shine. Do I need to strip it first or light sand and use a poly spray?

Basic Member
    Tru-Oil
    Scuff up the stock with 0000 steel wool before applying and between each coat. Tru-Oil cost approx $4.00 for a small bottle and goes a long way, enough for a few of stocks.

Team Savage
    +1 on Tru-Oil Gunstock Finish. Apply coats until you get the gloss finish you want. It will be easier to touch up in the long run.

Homer Forby's Tung Oil is available in High Gloss, it's applied the same way as the Tru Oil but yields a higher gloss. I've used both but the Formby's more resembles a Poly finish than Tru Oil if that's what you are looking for. Both are good products.

Curtis
    The wet high gloss finish is what I am seeking.

Curtis
    If I was to use any form of poly spray , what would be best way to star with stock other then light sanding. Any treatment needed.

Basic Member
    Maybe wash first with dish detergent and water so as to be certain any grease from long term storage is removed. Then sand lightly and evenly. I don't recommend a spray, though. It is likely to go on too thick and get bubbles, etc.

I truly prefer Tru-oil. Apply very little amount with your fingers/palms and let dry 24 hours or so between coats. I usually apply 2-3 coats before re-sanding lightly with steel wool or a white, soft abrasive pad. Then apply more coats, always letting it dry a day or more between coats. If you wan to speed up the process, apply (rub in) a light coat of Armor-all after each coat of Tru-oil. It will dry in about 2 hours and therefore really speed up the process. You can do a search for different ways to do this, but I have had MUCH better luck apply the Tru-oil first, then spray the Armor all lightly and rub it in till it is almost dry. (few minutes) Set aside a couple hours , repeat. repeat. Lightly sand/buff with 0000 steel wool or the white pad. Repeat as often as you like. It might amaze you when you're done. :)

If you do the armor-all thing, be sure to only use it with Tru-oil. I am not sure why, but it works. Some have said the two work together kind of like a 2 part epoxy.

Curtis
    Sounds good , have done lots reading and decided to go with the Tru-oil.

Basic Member
    I took my stock to a local body shop to have it finished with clear coat. Since the last step in painting a vehicle is applying clear coat, all they did was hang the stock up next to the car they were painting and hit the stock with a coat of clear coat after they finished painting the vehicle. After 7 coats of clear coat, they charged me $35 for the work. I gladly paid them $50, and the stock looks great.

Ken