Thread: Scope decsions for 260 rem

justinf

Scope decsions for 260 rem

I am rebarreling my model 10 308 to 260 rem, along with a new barrel and stock I need to upgrade the optics. I've been reading for what seems like days trying to narrow my choices down I'm still not sure I've came to a conclusion. My intended usage will be mostly for target of the bench use out to 800, but mostly under 600. May occasionally be used for varmints, or medium sized game. I am leaning towards a mil/mill, but that is not a deal breaker. I would prefer to keep it around the $400 and lower range.
    I am strongly considering the SWFA 12x42 mil/mil, but I'm unsure if the fixed mag. will cause problems at shorter ranges or be enough for the long range use.
    Some others I'm considering:
    http://swfa.com/Millett-4-16x50-TRS-...pe-P42548.aspx
    http://swfa.com/Sightron-4-16x42-SII...ope-P6047.aspx
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/132...ProductFinding
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/257...ProductFinding
    Though about giving this or the Primary arms version a try since they seem to have decent reviews.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/456...ProductFinding
    If anyone has any other I should be considering let me know.
    Thanks!

Basic Member
    The SWFA SS 10x, 12x, 16x or even 20X with their Mil Quad Reticle will not cause a problem at short range. The reticle is very "fine". I would not want to hunt close range with any of them, but for target, you'd be fine. Even the heavier, more simple mil dot is not a problem for target shooting at close range.

I really prefer that the turrets match the reticle. If you don't care that much, look at the one I have (20x) in the classifieds.

I truly believe the best "Do-All" hunting and tactical/target scope in your price range is the Primary Arms 4-14x44 FFP. It has all the essential elements I look for.http://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_A...pa4-14xffp.htm

Another +1 for the PA. I just invented a bunch of brass for my Creedmoor today, and did a little shooting. That very scope sits on that rifle. Truly out classes the SWFA 3-15X for glass clarity.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Quote Originally Posted by darkker View Post
    Another +1 for the PA. I just invented a bunch of brass for my Creedmoor today, and did a little shooting. That very scope sits on that rifle. Truly out classes the SWFA 3-15X for glass clarity.
    Really? A $230 Chinese-made scope clearer than the SWFA 3-15x?

I previously had the BSA Tactical 4-14x mil/mil, and while I was VERY pleasantly surprised by it, the tactile & audible feedback from its turrets were terrible and there was very obvious "milkiness" to the image and and chromatic aberration when set above 11x...issues that do not plague my Weaver GS Tactical 3-10x mil/mil @ 10x or SWFA 12x. That said, both optical flaws of the BSA aren't unexpected in a scope with those features at that price point, and neither would be prohibitive to shooting groups, banging steel or hunting.

I ended up selling the BSA Tactical and keeping the Weaver GST, which in my opinion is a heck of a scope for $300.

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUP View Post
    Really? A $230 Chinese-made scope clearer than the SWFA 3-15x?
    Yes, the $230 Chinese scope is better than the $500 Chinese scope :)

MZ5 and I did some side X side testing of the SWFA 3-15, PA 4-14, & Weaver Tactial 3-15(#800363) this summer, out to 1700 yards.
    The *Clicks* on the adjustment of the PA is very notably better than the SWFA, and a bit better than the Weaver. The Weaver has IIRC, 5 Mil/rev. I don't remember the SWFA, and the PA has 6mil/rev. The PA appears(mine anyway) to line-up with the actual hash marks better than the others, even though that really isn't a deal breaker for me; just annoying. The PA has it's adjustment obviously closer together, but is more solid. The SWFA honestly is kinda of a piece of junk for this, The weaver clicks, but is a wee bit mushy for me.

Where things get noticeable is in the clarity at that distance. We were shooting at a multi-colored Bullseye target(Red/Yellow/White) and a Brown 55-gal drum. The Weaver has the best glass in this test, easily. The SWFA couldn't find the bullseye in the heat. The drum you could see, but without knowing what it was, or how large it was; may have been mistaken for a tumble weed moving in the mirage. The PA you could easily tell which was which, and where. The interesting thing was the movement in the mirage. You would be able to acurately mil the target, but things did seem to move in the mirage. Sounds strange to describe, but both of us saw it the same way... Odd to the eye to have things move that much, but being able to accurately mil was easily done by both of us. The Weaver was by far the best. I would say that the Weaver looked the.. dullest, but was the clearest to find, dial and see the targets.

In my mind the SWFA in the $500 range is JUST under the Weaver, and is truly WAY out-classed. The SWFA by optical clarity should compete with the PA, and doesn't, at least at those distances.
    Thus far my PA has about 1,000 rounds of Creedmoor under it. I dial it constantly with no issues. I couldn't say if it tracks as well as the Weaver, but certainly close enough for me. My 308(Weaver) is not moving quickly at all at a mile, and in my winds, not sure I could call the missed shots a failing of the scope. More likely an issue with the screwball with his booger-hook, on the bang-switch :)

justinf
    Thanks for the insight!
    Any thoughts on whether the Vortex viper in the classifieds would be better or comparable to swfa or PA?

Without looking at it's specs, I'd caution just to compare apples to apples.
    Vortex has a bunch of SFP scopes, and some mixed reticle/turret adjustment. So, of it has a mill reticle, the turrets better not adjust in minutes. If it's a second focal plane scope, the adjustments are only accurate at one power. If it's mil/mil, FFP then the adjustments are correct at any magnification. Also make sure it has enough adjustment for what you want. The PA & SWFA have as much adjustment as many scopes costing well over $1200. Just be clear on what it is, and what you want.

The viper I looked through was at night, and was awfully yellow; that was compared to aVX-II. Beyond that I can only say everyone I know that has one (vortex) loves it, but everyone has has to use the warranty. Maybe luck of the draw, don't know.

justinf
    Thanks.
    I think I'm just going to go with the swfa 12x unless I can find a Primary Arms in stock here soon. Hopefully 12x will be enough magnification as it seems the 16x has sup-par optics.

The SWFA 12x is a fine scope, I am VERY pleased with mine (and the optical quality is better than the BSA Tactical FFP 4-14x I previously owned).

Hunting medium game with it in woods would be no bueno, but in wide-open land I can't imagine it being a HUGE issue.

Interesting assessment of the PA scope. I have both the SWFA 3-15x and Weaver Tactical 3-15x. Not unusual but my side by side comparison was different from others with the SWFA being the better of the two, but margin wasn't significant.

The PA scope is available and hard to argue with the price tag. I'm in the market for another FFP scope and will give the PA a try.

justinf

Scope decsions for 260 rem

I ended up stepping up and getting a vortex viper pst 4-16 mil/mil. I found a good deal and figured it was worth the extra couple hundred.
    Last edited by justinf; 01-27-2015 at 06:15 PM.