Thread: has anyone tried the new nightforce scope?

varmint72

has anyone tried the new nightforce scope?

I'm thinking about getting one but want to hear some reviews first.

Uhhh... Which one??

Quote Originally Posted by barrel-nut View Post
    Uhhh... Which one??
    +1

Generally speaking, without you giving us something specific to go on:
    They have nice glass, but build too many mis-matched reticle/turret scopes for my taste.

They also, generally speaking, have rather small adjustment range for the price class they are competing in. I do like the glass on the two I have shot, but price for the features supplied; keep them off of my rifles.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

LongRange
    i also have 2 NF scopes..260 sports NXS 8-32x56 and the 300 sports a ATACR...i like the NXS a lot but love the ATACR and will soon be replacing the NXS with the ATACR-T.

I have 3 NightForce BenchRest scopes, the new ones, 15x55's. I love them and have tried most of them.

loneranger04
    The ATACR is a great scope. Very bright and clear. Only wish it was a FFp.

Basic Member
    varmint72 might be asking about the new NightForce SHV model. I believe they are the newest in the NightForce line of scopes. I haven't had the opportunity to look through one of those models yet. I love my NXS. Idaho-45

achilles
    What would be the best NF scope to mount on a savage 110 BA 338 lapua , Goal is the clearest glass with the longest range scope 3 turrent adjustments, and mil dot if possible.

And what would be better than NF.

sorry if Im sound a but elementry I am just getting started with my new 110.

Pardon my ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by varmint72 View Post
    I'm thinking about getting one but want to hear some reviews first.

It's a Nightforce, ...it won't suck.

I have a NXS on my 7mag and love it. 5.5-22x50 with the NPR2. If I could afford it, Nightforce would be on all my rifles.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

The SHV's run about a grand less than their other models.Still too rich for my blood.I'll stick with the Vortex's.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 243LPR View Post
    The SHV's run about a grand less than their other models.Still too rich for my blood.I'll stick with the Vortex's.
    Over the last year or so I have had Kahles, IOR, Steiner, Nightforce NXS, USO, Super Sniper and Bushnell. All but the NXS were FFP and all were in the range of 5-25Xish with 50-58mm objective.

None of the others listed eclipse my NXS 5-22x56 for optical clarity. There are things I like better about the Kahles and USO but its not because their glass is better because its not.

achilles
    Quote Originally Posted by rotts4u View Post
    Over the last year or so I have had Kahles, IOR, Steiner, Nightforce NXS, USO, Super Sniper and Bushnell. All but the NXS were FFP and all were in the range of 5-25Xish with 50-58mm objective.

None of the others listed eclipse my NXS 5-22x56 for optical clarity. There are things I like better about the Kahles and USO but its not because their glass is better because its not.
    Now I was looking to mount the
    COMPETITION™ 15-55×52 RIFLESCOPE

or

NXS™ 8-32×56 RIFLESCOPE

Again im looking the clearest highest powered scope that Might offer some illumination options and and in-depth reticle like an MOARm or MIL-r something like that.
    again this will be going on my 110 ba 338, and I plan using this to learn and eventually compete.

I own several scopes brighter and clearer than my NXS. The HS line seems to be priced more appropriate as they are close to the Viper PST.
    More shooting, less typing.

achilles
    Are they of the same Power as the nightforce...?

Basic Member
    If you want a pickup you can ride to work in thats good looking, nice riding, has a nice stereo,
    and 4 wheel drive, close your eyes and pick one. But if your going to be pulling heavy loads
    even occaisionally, that one wont cut it. Same goes for scopes, especially long range scopes.
    Its not a question of if, but when you wake up and you realize that. Click click, nothing nothing,
    click click. But hey it's clearer than the more expensive one and it's half the price.
    Just dont tighten the screws as much. lol

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Are they of the same Power as the nightforce...?
    Very similar in power range and set them all on the same setting when testing which was 18x.

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Click click, nothing nothing,
    click click. But hey it's clearer than the more expensive one and it's half the price.
    Just dont tighten the screws as much. lol
    Seeing as I do not have tracking issues, I can be content. I could be like a lot of others though and ask Mr. Jones to pass that jug of Kool-Aid to me. I have pulled NF optics out of the box and had them go "click, click, nothing, nothing, click, click." They are subject to the same rules of mass production as any other item, they will have faulty ones as well.

One of the scopes that is brighter and clearer has been on umpteen rifles over that last several years. The knobs on it have been twisted from end to end but yet when I pull out my chart and dial 1200 yards, it goes exactly where it should. Silly me for thinking that someone other NF made good scopes.
    Last edited by Jamie; 01-04-2015 at 01:40 PM.

achilles
    SOrry i must ask in the lamens explanation of what this all means.... Are you stating that nightforce is the way to go. As I am looking for something more than 22x power. I am really looking to reach out as far as the gun can go effectively.

If you need the Abrams tank of optics then NF is a really good choice but may not have the utmost in optical clarity. You can't go wrong with it. I would certainly at least go put my hands on several good optics and look through them.

There are only a few scopes I would be comfortable with on a .338 LM. the MK4 or the NXS. There are others but the prices get really crazy. Go look through them and get the one you like most.

beta1759
    Leupold VX-6 7-42x56mm

achilles
    I went to Cabelas and Liked the OPtions of the NXS 8-32x56mm the turrets, markings the Mil-r or I wish the MOAR-t had the Illumation to red. But loved the options. BUT. It bothers me that Nightforce has a 42 and 55x optic but with much less options. I really want the LOOONNNGGG range ability of the scope and the options. In going with the NXS 8-32 vs the bench-rest 12-42 will i notice the 10x drop in the effective range in seeing thoughts guys. And thank you for the Help thus far.

ALso if you had NO budget meaning 10k to spend on a scope what scope would you suggest/ or dream of having...?

If your intent is long range, don't forget to keep track of the available elevation adjustment. There's a give and take, usually when the magnification increases, there is a loss in internal adjustment. There's only so much room inside a scope tube.

I was shooting my 7mmRM out to a mile this weekend. I needed the adjustment much more than I needed additional magnification.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Exactly. There's a mile plate at one of the places I shoot regularly. It's 30"x30". I can see /bisect it just fine with a 16x scope.

achilles
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    If your intent is long range, don't forget to keep track of the available elevation adjustment. There's a give and take, usually when the magnification increases, there is a loss in internal adjustment. There's only so much room inside a scope tube.

I was shooting my 7mmRM out to a mile this weekend. I needed the adjustment much more than I needed additional magnification.

I see thank you

achilles
    Quote Originally Posted by upSLIDEdown View Post
    Exactly. There's a mile plate at one of the places I shoot regularly. It's 30"x30". I can see /bisect it just fine with a 16x scope.

Quote Originally Posted by upSLIDEdown View Post
    Now when you say you can see it, ar you saying you see a black/white or whatever color the plate is a spec, and you guessing on the placement or can you see the retical marks and put the bullet within inches of intended mark...?

Basic Member
    I have both the HSV and the comp that goes to 55x. In the summer the mirage can get pretty bad at 55x. But it's a very good scope. I have the HSV on a hunting rifle as the reticle is in moa's. Both are great and I will get another