Thread: PTG Bolt Head and Bolt Body: What Fitting is Required?

michaelnel

PTG Bolt Head and Bolt Body: What Fitting is Required?

Hi Folks

I have a Savage 12 Benchrest in 6mm BR. I have ordered the following and will receive them early next week:

Criterion 30" Bull Barrel in 6mm BR
    PTG bolt head
    PTG bolt body

PTG makes vague references to a need for gunsmithing to install the bolt head. I believe they just mean that I must do the headspace measurement with this assembled bolt, but I am not sure if I need to do more. I have emailed them, but no response.

I do understand that I need to set the headspace with the new barrel and bolt, and I have the GO gauge (and will use the tape trick for NO GO). I have installed a Criterion barrel before, successfully, on my .308.
    '
    Anything else I need to do for this job other than setting the headspace with the new barrel and the bolt with the new body and bolt head? I would think that with the floating bolt head design that lapping the lugs should not be necessary, but I am often wrong.

Thank you!
    Michael
    Last edited by michaelnel; 10-30-2014 at 08:07 PM.

spdu4ia
    Just the bolt body is a direct fit ( did mine today) I'd have a smith adjust for headspace when replacing the head

Should just be install bolt head and bolt body and set headspace.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Basic Member
    Got my PTG bolt head a few weeks back...nothing but a night mare so far...mainly dealing with PTG getting the run around BAD...

PTG bolt head was for 308 LA...so it has a longer shank that fits into the bolt body...

Firing pin will not pass thru the bolt head...called PTG 8 times now...I get, "oh that persons off today, they are out in the shop, I'll have them call you right back, let me see if I can get someone to help you and call you back...FINALLY got someone who said he knew what was going on...he said that I was sent a 308 LA BR (bench rest) bolt head by mistake, I was also sent the wrong recoil lug by mistake too...both parts promised in stock, NOT...it was 5-6 weeks for the bolt head and according to him I got a BR version...they do not list a BR version on their site so there's no way to order one...go figure...he says the difference is it uses a longer skinnier firing pin and that lock time is reduced as the firing pin in almost flush with the bolt face...he said they would send out right away a new bolt face IF I would send them the "wrong BR one" I said am I going to have to wait 5-6 week again...Why don't you just send me the right firing pin...YES...thats what I'll do...But the guy I have to get it from is off today...that was this past Monday...have not heard anything, even after i called Tuesday to confirm they were sending me the right firing pin...Nothing..Crickets chirping...guess I'll call again tomorrow...

But to answer your question...all you should have to do is head space...

My PTG bolt head gave me no issues(gonna miss seeing every primer cratered,,,,NOT) and my headspace grew less than .001 so I didn't even bother resetting the barrel.

sparky123321
    Just installed a PTG SA .223 bolt head yesterday. I was very please with the quality and fit. I didn't even need to re-headspace the barrel and I was planning on doing so. That was a pleasant surprise. Liked it so much, I'm going to install PTG bolt heads on all my other Savages.

"(gonna miss seeing every primer cratered,,,,NOT)" - goes for me as well!

Anything else I need to do for this job other than setting the headspace
    Make sure you order the correct BH for your length of action. Check firing pin protrusion. Make sure your diameter firing pin is compatable with the PTG bolt.

I was at the range today & was shown PTG 6PPC bolt head that had ejector retaining pin hole drilled on extractor side.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CAPTBEACH View Post
    Got my PTG bolt head a few weeks back...nothing but a night mare so far...mainly dealing with PTG getting the run around BAD...

PTG bolt head was for 308 LA...so it has a longer shank that fits into the bolt body...

Firing pin will not pass thru the bolt head...called PTG 8 times now...I get, "oh that persons off today, they are out in the shop, I'll have them call you right back, let me see if I can get someone to help you and call you back...FINALLY got someone who said he knew what was going on...he said that I was sent a 308 LA BR (bench rest) bolt head by mistake, I was also sent the wrong recoil lug by mistake too...both parts promised in stock, NOT...it was 5-6 weeks for the bolt head and according to him I got a BR version...they do not list a BR version on their site so there's no way to order one...go figure...he says the difference is it uses a longer skinnier firing pin and that lock time is reduced as the firing pin in almost flush with the bolt face...he said they would send out right away a new bolt face IF I would send them the "wrong BR one" I said am I going to have to wait 5-6 week again...Why don't you just send me the right firing pin...YES...thats what I'll do...But the guy I have to get it from is off today...that was this past Monday...have not heard anything, even after i called Tuesday to confirm they were sending me the right firing pin...Nothing..Crickets chirping...guess I'll call again tomorrow...

I just found out myself that PT&G product support is GARBAGE. Welcome to the club!

sparky123321
    If the bolt head was ordered correctly(action length, right or left hand, right or left eject and bolt face), PTG should go out of their way to make it right. If it was shipped as ordered, well that's a different story.

loneranger04
    Hmmm, not good news about PTG. Anyone else make these parts besides PTG?

Basic Member
    I ordered and PTG acknowledged that my order was correct...they state on several occasions now that I was sent the wrong part...supposedly it is a LA 308 "BENCH REST" bolt head...I was told this supposedly by the machinist who made mypart, something not offered in their catalog...how I got it is a mystery...to date I have had no less than 24 phone conversations, a dozen or more email exchanges, been promised to send me the correct recoil lug, promised to send the correct firing pin for the "BENCH REST" bolt head, been told the Savage BENCH REST bolt head does not exist, that a SAVAGE BENCH REST firing pin does not exist, in the last week I was told the correct bolt head was shipping, she called to verify it was a SAVAGE SHORT ACTION 223 she was sending, got that straightened out and sending correct on at no charge then I get an email tonight of course on Friday right at their closing time 8pm EST, they are PST Oregon...that she needs my CC info to bill me for the new part AFYER I HAD BEEN TOLD THEY WERE SENDING THE CORRECT PART FREE....

PTG CUSTOMER SERVICE IS %#&@ed up nine ways to Monday...when I get this finally straight they will never get a dome of my $$$ again...

Basic Member
    I also asked now 3 times to talk to the owner..all three times told he was in the office but that I could not talk to him...that she ( Sheila, Sheryl, Shirley) was the CS Manager and she was the one I could deal with...to my credit I have actually been EXTREMELY PATIENT with everyone I have dealt with....this has been an insane comedy I have been put through over such a simple order...

michaelnel
    I emailed PTG to ask about this gunsmithing thing... absolutely zero response. Left phone messages, same thing.

I am done with those guys. I did install the barrel and bolt head and bolt body, set the headspace, no issues, no gunsmithing.

Misread... disregard
    Last edited by Digduggy; 12-23-2014 at 09:44 AM.

Abendicum

Ptg bolt face too tight

Putting together a 6.5mm Grendel on a Savage 112.

Ordered a PPC, PTG BOLT FACE.

Put it on the bolt and it binds unless excessive pressure is used to close the bolt...

The factory .308 bolt face is smooth as silk.

Anyone familiar with tight PTG Bolt Face Specs, they are not radiused ANYWHERE all edges are sharp.

Just thought to ask, this is NOT a drop in fit.

The Main Action Spring is removed and barrel isn't attached, the action is new.

Ab

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Abendicum View Post
    The Main Action Spring is removed and barrel isn't attached, the action is new.

Ab
    Back the BAS out a turn or two, try the PTG then report back.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CAPTBEACH View Post

Thats about the norm with them.......