Thread: Savage 1907 serial number concern

azeric

Savage 1907 serial number concern

I recently acquired this model 1907. I noticed it doesn't have a serial number in the normal location. It does have a stamped number (18) but it doesn't look like a factory stamp. Maybe original number has been filed off? Can anyone help me with this concern.

Last edited by azeric; 10-28-2014 at 03:45 PM.

Can't really help you with the serial number though other than to suggest maybe stripping it down to see if any other parts are marked with one. I'm not all that familiar with these so I really have no clue if any other parts were stamped with the S/N or not. However, I did find a few things that can help narrow it down a little...

Per Bailey Brower Jr's book, Savage Pistols

Frame Markings
    In the middle of the production run, between serial number 87,900 and 167,000, Model 1907s carried "SAVAGE" stamped into the left side of the frame above the grip. Two variations have this feature, 1907-13 Modification No. 2 and the 1907-13 Modification No. 3, Military Contract. All other Model 1907 .32 caliber pistols are lacking this feature.
    Your 3/4 round safety combined with the Fire and Safe markings indicates that it's a 1907-10 Modification No. 2 or later. I can't tell from your pictures which magazine release lever type yours has, but that can also be used to determine the revision/modification number.

If you don't have the above referenced book I highly recommend it as it's by far the reference standard for Savage pistols and will likely answer most of your questions. It has nice clear photo's of most of the different variations.modification no.'s and explains what changes were made from one No. to the next. Definitely worth the money if you're interested in the old Savage Pocket Pistols.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain