Thread: is stevens 200 an ok project base?

charb52

is stevens 200 an ok project base?

I can get one really cheap today and all I want it for is to tear down for a project but i have read its hard to find a stock for them? any advice is appreciated

Probably half of all savage builds are done on Steven's 200 actions, so go to town.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

charb52
    thanks for your quick reply. getting it for $300 with a vortex 4-12x44 on top. not a bad deal

charb52
    now I gotta figure out what I want to chamber it in and where to get my barrel and trigger...its a long action currently chambered in .270 win, thinkin maybe 6.5x284? I want something a little different

Wildboarem
    Quote Originally Posted by charb52 View Post
    now I gotta figure out what I want to chamber it in and where to get my barrel and trigger...its a long action currently chambered in .270 win, thinkin maybe 6.5x284? I want something a little different
    Look at the ole piano wire trigger upgrade for the 200. Mine is consistent at #2.0. Put the money into brass or bullets or a good barrel. I have a Rock Creek and a CBI. They both are unbelievable shooters. But Apache and others have great reps for prefits.

Basic Member
    The 200 action is the same as any comparable Savage, short action centerfeed, long action staggerfeed etc- they are the same.

You can get barrels from a number of places, Shilen, McGowan, PacNor etc, but Criterions have proven to be very, very accurate and Jim at Northland is a great guy to deal with.

Is your action centerfeed or staggerfeed? If you take the barreled action out of the stock does the magazine stay on the action or in the stock? If it stays on the action it is a staggerfeed, if it stays in the stock it is a centerfeed, that is important to know for stocks. Boyds makes a lot of great stocks for either action.

Lots of great choices for trigers as well, I went with a RifleBasix and would do it again in a heartbeat, for the money it was a quick drop in, easily adjustable and breaks light and clean while being very safe.

Keep us posted whatever you decide.

charb52
    its a long action centerfeed (mag stays in the stock). Im fine with converting it to a single shot if that makes more choices for stocks to.

as for caliber I am interested in 6.5/300wsm. I like that its different but not so different that I cant buy dies or find brass. Im open to other chamberings as well but I have to be able to get dies for it and either be 6.5 or 7mm since there is the outside chance I might hunt with it in the future

Wildboarem
    Might look at the 6.5 SAUM. There's a good write up over on the Hide. A little more efficient case and a little more barrel life. Or the new 7mm nosler wildcat (26 nosler necked up to 7mm). Shouldn't need to single feed to have a good selection of stocks. Only going to a short action would do that. Have fun with your build.

charb52
    it doesnt necessarily have to be a wildcat rount either. 6.5x284 and .284 winchester have always interested me...why does there have to be so many to choose from! lol

Basic Member
    its a long action centerfeed (mag stays in the stock). Im fine with converting it to a single shot if that makes more choices for stocks to.

as for caliber I am interested in 6.5/300wsm. I like that its different but not so different that I cant buy dies or find brass. Im open to other chamberings as well but I have to be able to get dies for it and either be 6.5 or 7mm since there is the outside chance I might hunt with it in the future
    On my last project, I converted a Savage 110 LA into a .270 AI. It has 30" Lilja SS (#6 contour - .750" at the muzzle), 1:8", 3-groove to primarily propel the high BC 165/175 Matrix VLDS for long range hunting/shooting. My current accuracy load for the 175 is 2993 FPS.

It's topped with a Burris Veracity 4-20x 50 and has a JP Enterprise Bennie Cooley muzzle brake.

Recently installed a Horus Vision ASLI.

She delivers if I do my part ...

5 shot series at 100 yards (54gr H4350 150 NBT 3008 FPS fire-forming) ...

My last cold bore shot (200 yards 175 Matrix VLD 58gr H4831SSC BR2 Win brass) before calling it good for the hunting season. Very pleased thus far.

You have plenty of choices on chamberings; just depends on what you already have in your inventory and what you're intended purpose.

Good luck with your project and enjoy! Happy safe shooting/hunting.

varmint72
    Take a look at the 6.5-06 its a great cartridge and will feed well.

charb52
    Yea the 6.5-06 is starting to look pretty appealing. Brass everywhere and I wont have to change bolt faces.

charb52
    ok so heres where I am right now. I am heavily leaning towards chambering in 6.5x55 and I have set a budget of $450 for myself to finish the project and wouldnt mind at all being under budget. I have the action, scope (vortex 4-12x44 for now) rings and a base. So I still need a stock, barrel, tools, dies, ect...

is it worth my money to to buy trued lug and barrel nut?

will the 6.5x55 work on the .270win bolt face?

and what am I forgetting?

and should this thread be retitled and moved? lol

Basic Member
    ok so heres where i am right now. I am heavily leaning towards chambering in 6.5x55 and i have set a budget of $450 for myself to finish the project and wouldnt mind at all being under budget. I have the action, scope (vortex 4-12x44 for now) rings and a base. So i still need a stock, barrel, tools, dies, ect...

is it worth my money to to buy trued lug and barrel nut?

will the 6.5x55 work on the .270win bolt face?

and what am i forgetting?

And should this thread be retitled and moved? Lol
    yes!

long actions with a bolt face .dia of .470 +/-
    220 swift, 6mm rem, 240 weatherby mag, 257 roberts, 25-06 rem,
    6.5x55 swedish, 270 win, 7x57 mauser, 7x64 brenneke, 280 rem, 30/06 springfield,
    8mm mauser, 338/06 a square, and the 35 whelen.

charb52
    thank you! any lug in particular recommended? or specific thickness recommended? and fenix I hope my rifle shoots like yours when im done!

Basic Member
    thank you! any lug in particular recommended? or specific thickness recommended? and fenix I hope my rifle shoots like yours when im done!
    I used .250" from http://www.stockadegunstocks.com/4.html

Let me put it this way, anything but the factory ones.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.