Thread: Savage 110 Hog Hunter in 308 - Yet Another Question About Stock Replacement

Basic Member

Savage 110 Hog Hunter in 308 - Yet Another Question About Stock Replacement

Hi everyone,

I have 2021 HH model with BDM and Bottom Bolt Release in 308 cal. and looking to replace OEM plastic stock either with wood/laminate stock or an affordable chassis system. There are several recent threads starting with the same question, but none have the answers I am looking for.

I found pictures using Google that confirmed HH fit for two options that I am considering below.

1) Boyds At-One stock (preferred)

If anyone knows this configuration and can confirm selections from Boyd's stock selector (or recommend others), please advise:

Savage / 10 Bottom Bolt Release / Short Action, Detachable Magazine, Bull Barrell

I contacted Boyd's sales, but I am not getting a confirmation from them even after providing the measurements they asked for.

2) Oryx chassis by MDT

This option is more expensive than the rifle itself, but if I don't get a confirmation on option #1 this is the likely choice

Thanks

Basic Member
    Yes, I posted it on another thread.

Yesterday, I contacted Tech Sales at OP, and someone named Tom replied that it will not fit my Hog Hunter. My guess, due to the bottom bolt release.

Huh, Hunter told me any of them should work, and I tried to confirm as best as I could on my own by watching the only video of it (the daily shooter) and confirming there's a slot cutout where you can use a small tool to actuate the bolt release.

Guess we're going to have to wait for a(nother) guinnea pig then.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Revoliver View Post
    Huh, Hunter told me any of them should work, and I tried to confirm as best as I could on my own by watching the only video of it (the daily shooter) and confirming there's a slot cutout where you can use a small tool to actuate the bolt release.

Guess we're going to have to wait for a(nother) guinnea pig then.
    In my email, I attached this image from Cadex Defense configuration dated back to 2014 that I think has been adopted by others including MDT.

Banned
    I’m thinking whoever you spoke with was confused. If it doesn’t support the Bottom Bolt Release, why does it have a milled slot just like the Oryx has, in the exact spot the Oryx has the slot?

I honestly think the Trybe is a solid player.

The irony is that I actually prefer the bottom bolt release, didn't realize it could limit aftermarket options. But I'm also pretty pleased with the accufit stock to begin with (beats hogue overmold IMO) so I've only looked into chassis out of curiosity so far.

I will see myself out of the conversation at this point as I'm probably on the verge of misleading information through lack of familiarity and should stay in my own lane.

I hope you get definitive answers to help you make your decision!

Basic Member
    Thanks for sharing! It does make sense and I will try to get another opinion on Trybe.

Banned
    Well, I’m telling you right now, the Trybe fits BBR. The Oryx also is a great contender. To me, the only reason to get a Boyd’s is if you specifically want the Monte Carlo stock. But from a performance, ease of use and affordable chassis standpoint.....really no contest.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Well, I’m telling you right now, the Trybe fits BBR. The Oryx also is a great contender. To me, the only reason to get a Boyd’s is if you specifically want the Monte Carlo stock. But from a performance, ease of use and affordable chassis standpoint.....really no contest.
    Thanks again! Trybe's stock was at the top of my list before I got that response from OP and posted the above. I guess the next logical thing to do is... to wait for 10% or more coupon from OP, get through nail-biting waiting period, and get it installed (or returned).

...I'll be back!

Banned
    Yeerp! That’s always my gig as well. I REFUSE to pay the regular advertised price for most things I order. I’ll usually spend much time searching for coupons. And I’m patient, so that’s a plus.

Found this Q&A as well which lends more to it fitting the BBR.

Banned
    Oh wait! You know if you supply a NEW Email, you get 10% off the First order & Free shipping. That Trybe chassis is $350, minus the 10%, it’d be $315! A complete Chassis, stock & grip included for $315!? That is a free in DEAL!

Basic Member
    I have VIP pricing turned on... Price I see is $329

So... with 10% coupon (President's Day soon, then Valentine's Day maybe, then Memorial Day, then...), I hope to get it under $300 :-D

Banned
    Sounds good brother. Can’t wait to see it & how it performs. It looks like a solid performer right there with the Oryx.

Basic Member
    I put mine an old model with top bolt release in a MDT XRS chassis. Look not too bad I think. In the pic you can see the slot for bottom bolt release.

Basic Member
    Update: I took advantage of OP's 15% off and got Oryx chassis. Although its not the latest version (no QD mount in stock) and description said its for Model 10, it fit my Hog Hunter 110's action like a glove.

Banned
    Good deal! Oryx is a winner. You’ll be happy.

Basic Member
    Thanks Dave!

Yes, I am happy with the final build and that I was able to keep it under $1000 (including Burris 4.5-15x42 optic)

I was also looking at Sharps Brothers Heatseeker chassis for Savage 110 that came out in May, but with OP’s discount the difference in cost was substantial.

Maybe next time, another build. Ruger American never looked better in that chassis, IMO.

Banned
    I agree. That Sharps Bros is a decent looking player. But with still needing grip & buttstock, it doesn’t match the Oryx dollar for dollar.