I wanted to pass this info on ..... realizing it might, hoping it would, help others.

I recently purchased a Savage Axis Youth in 7mm08, which I was 'fixing up' for my GF to shoot this deer season. I put a Boyd's Thumbhole stock, picatinny rail, and a Nikon ProStaff scope (for initial shooting). When I took the rifle to the range, ammo would chamber, but wouldnt fire. Firing pin was not even touching the primer. Using info from this site, I disassembled the bolt, checking to see if springs and pin were good, everything was clean.

GF's brother works with a 'guru'...he suggested base screws might be too long. Sure enough this was the problem. I'd put a short and long screw in front and back. Switched the long screws to the back....all is GREAT. And what a shooter this rifle is!! Im guessing the trigger is maybe 5#....not a hard pull at all...so for now will leave as is. If she likes it, I'lll switch the ProStaff for her Buckmaster 4.5x14x40.

Thanks to all who posted different threads which helped.

Billy G

PS.....I might have to get a shorter model Boyd's stock for her. It's gonna BREAK MY HEART if I have to buy another Axis for the other stock!