Thread: die setup?

Heavies

die setup?

Can't wait to start my Savage target 6mmbr project. I got my dies, brass, powder, bullets. I got to thinking...
    Might be a dumb question, but here it goes..

Since I got go gauges to headspace my barrel to the action, does it make sense to set the fl die to the go gauge?

Never had go gauges to use before so I never thought about that. I usually did the trial and fit method to set the die to bump the shoulder.
    Any thoughts or experience on that?

gotcha

Re: die setup?

Heavies, Never ceases to amaze me the number of "think outside the box" people we have here. :) I had to stop and scratch my head on this one! However, using the headspace gauge to set-up your f/l die would not allow you to move the shoulder back any further than the measurement your chamber was set to. Unless you milled a few thou. from the end of the headspace gauge which would render it useless for any further chamber headspace setting/re-setting. Keep in mind also that your 6mmBR F/L die is machined very precisely to give you minimum cartridge headspace when set firmly to the shell holder. You could buy a cartridge head space comparator to fit to your dial caliper to determine how far back your shoulder is moving upon sizing. (see how expensive this hobby can get?) Or, you can just go ahead and shoot it and take problems (if any) as they come! Good luck on your project, Dale

pphreed

The measuring gage is probably the way to go but I have also been led to believe that dies at times will set the shoulder back quite a little more than needed. If you don't have a gage I would try it and see what happens worst case you will have toreturn to your old method

Heavies

Yep. Just gotta wait and see. I've got about another 4 weeks to wait till I can put everything together and shoot. :-\
    When I tried using the go gauge in the die (redding type-s fl) I noticed there is a slight gap between the die and the shell holder.
    If I touch the shell holder with the die it'll be sizing too much. My reasoning is maybe I could get my feeler gauge set and screw the die in a measurable amout to get the sizing I want. Thereby, I eleminate haveing to get all those expensive measuring devices.
    Problem is I gotta wait and see. Darnit! Haha ;D

gotcha

Heavies, sounds like you've got it goin' on now!!! Can't tell for sure but the space/gap between shell holder and die is a real good sign! And I like the idea of saving money on the comparator. You will fit in real well on this site! innovative and cheap too!

davemuzz

Hevies,

When I headspaced my .17 Fireball on my Stevens action, I did just what you are asking about on my full length die for the Fireball. I put the Go-Gauge in the shell holder and set the gauge down on it, and set the F\L die to that depth.

I shot some brand new brass to chamber form it, then I F\L sized it with that setting and put each piece thru the chamber with no problems. I loaded up another 50 rounds and after each shot, I inspected the brass ('cause that .17 Fireball neck is small) for cracks or any other pressure signs.

It's been working fine and the accuracy has been amazing.

So....I would use it and just be sure to check each shot for pressure signs. Of course, if your having any issues closing the bolt after sizing, then make any necessary adjustments. And....as always....check for pressure signs.

Stay safe.

Dave