Thread: Best choice to replace Berger 130 VLD hunting in creedmoor

Basic Member

Best choice to replace Berger 130 VLD hunting in creedmoor

I can't seem to find any Berger 130 VLD hunting for my 6.5 Creedmoor. You wont hear me say anything bad about the Berger bullets except that I can never find them. I need a good substitute for hunting and long range targets. I've got to find a supplier that has bullets when I need them. I really like the BC of the 130 VLD hunting and the terminal performance is also good. I think the new Nosler long range 129 gr bullet will be good but I'm afraid it will be the same way on lack of availability.
    Any suggestions?

140 AMax.

Berger.Fan222
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUP View Post
    140 AMax.
    Agreed. 140 AMAX. Available. Accurate. High BC. Will expand but not explode.

Basic Member

Hornady 140gr amax. (.299 G7 Litz BC)

Took this hog while on leave last week.

140 berger. Everything you enjoy about the 130 but even better.

Basic Member
    Sure looks dead to me. Did it complain that you didnt use a Berger? lol
    Another dirty little secret is that before there was Amax there was only the match grade bthp
    for calibers like the 7mm. They are still being offered even though the Amax is currently not
    being produced in .284. But fear not because despite what you hear from the Berger bunch they kill stuff just fine also.
    Another option would be a little upstart company named Sierra. Not intended for hunting of coarse but the smks will cause
    things to be very dead also.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Sure looks dead to me. Did it complain that you didnt use a Berger? lol
    Another dirty little secret is that before there was Amax there was only the match grade bthp
    for calibers like the 7mm. They are still being offered even though the Amax is currently not
    being produced in .284. But fear not because despite what you hear from the Berger bunch they kill stuff just fine also.
    Another option would be a little upstart company named Sierra. Not intended for hunting of coarse but the smks will cause
    things to be very dead also.
    Nope, it didnt complain one bit. I use smk and amax extensively for hunting. Ive yet to get a runner or non fatal wound. I place all my shots in high shoulder or in the boiler room just above the leg and back a bit.

Berger hybrids and vld are very nice but theyre so nice nobody EVER has them. So i stick to whats reliable and available. Theres also a new boy in town from sierra the tmk but they arent available yet. Im curious to see how they stack up and IF theyll be available for other calibers like the 6.5

Basic Member

LongRange
    this is why when you find what works buy a 1000 of them...personally i think berger bullets are WAY over rated and you can get the same results for much cheaper.

gotcha
    Take a look at the Lapua 136 gr. Scenar-L ...... Have no idea how it performs as a hunting round but, these bullets have amazingly consistent weight & dimension and out-shoot Bergers in my rigs. With only a 6 grain difference in weight it might be relatively easy to slightly modify your 130 Berger load. ............. Hunting application?....140 A-max

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by gotcha View Post
    Take a look at the Lapua 136 gr. Scenar-L ...... Have no idea how it performs as a hunting round but, these bullets have amazingly consistent weight & dimension and out-shoot Bergers in my rigs. With only a 6 grain difference in weight it might be relatively easy to slightly modify your 130 Berger load. ............. Hunting application?....140 A-max
    what is the OAL from ogive to base on the 136g lapuas? i have a new barrel coming and would like to try the 136s but it will be chambered around the 139g lapuas and the 142g SMKs.

Basic Member
    Talking about Sierra, if any of you ever happen to be in that area, it would be worth stopping in the factory store.
    They have blems in barrels of every bullet they make. Sold by the pound you can well afford to shoot. The smks
    look very good to me and being that im a lousey shot anyway i dont see any difference in them. Probably that pig wouldnt have either.

D.ID
    "this is why when you find what works buy a 1000 of them...".........+1
    I love Bergers, Sierras and Hornadys........ use all three in a variety of different calibers.........Have had availability problems with all three at one time or another.
    When you find one you love (no matter which one) Stock up.

Basic Member
    Yeah, right, Yobuck.

You say you're lousy shot but you also hunt off your camp's front porch and shoot deer some 700 yards away on another hill that's across the valley! :)

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    Yeah, right, Yobuck.

You say you're lousy shot but you also hunt off your camp's front porch and shoot deer some 700 yards away on another hill that's across the valley! :)
    Now how would you know that?
    Anyway the only reason id try that is because i cant walk much any more.
    I stay on the porch or go where the rubicon can take me. Which can be some pretty bad spots.
    Ill be driving it thru a stream tomorrow to get the mud from the undercarriage then into town to wash the rest off.
    Then into the garage here till hopefully next time. Back to Florida on tuesday a m.
    And i am a lousey shot because i missed 2 from that porch this year. But they were alot further than 700.

Basic Member
    Now you're just braggin'.

Yep, guys, he missed, but braggin' just the same. Not everyone can get away with that.

Basic Member
    If i clear the brush out more i can get a full 1000yds view. As it stands right now i only have about 150yds clear LOS from my elevated stand and 482yds on the ground during daylight to my middle stand.