Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Build or buy?

mr splashy pants

Build or buy?

I have been wanting a bolt gun and have decided on savage because I am a DIY kinda guy and they appear to be easy to work on.

I have been looking to by a 10t at cabelas. But rolling your own also sounds cool. Eventually the plan is to have this a bull barreled McMillan stocked rifle. So would the members start with the $599 10t? I have found an old 110 that looks rough the owner wants $245 as a donor rifle. What would the membership suggest?

I would go with a donor rifle. I can't justify an extra $300+/- on a rifle I'm gonna completely rebuild anyway.

Basic Member
    I chose to build off a Stevens 200. I could have bought a new 12LRP for what I have in mine so far, but I wanted that extra satisfaction of assembling my own rifle with parts I chose. I have bought parts all along as funds were available. If this rifle shoots really good, I could be sleeping in the dog house often next year cause I'm gonna build another one... LOL

Basic Member
    The used donor might be a good way to go. Not sure what condition you're talking about. All I care about is the action. If it is smooth and decent condition, go for it. Might talk him down more if there's any rust or pitting. If the stock is bad or the barrel rust and pitted, slam him hard to go as low as possible, don't tell him you're looking for a donor. :)

a new Stevens 200 might be had for the same price. I would prefer that.

If you do get a new savage, consider the Hog Hunter. You can sell the 308 barrel for about $100 and it has a top bolt release. Blind mag, but my favorite of the new ones.

Basic Member
    Of course, if you can get that one for $245 and sell the barrel for $30 or so... you can send it to Sharp Shooter Supply for a Time ad True for about $160. $375 total you'll have a really nice start on a build and the action will be better than a new one.

mr splashy pants
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    The used donor might be a good way to go. Not sure what condition you're talking about. All I care about is the action. If it is smooth and decent condition, go for it.
    No pitting but it looks rough. 5 minutes of steel wool and a durable spray on finish and it will look new.

Quote Originally Posted by mr splashy pants View Post
    No pitting but it looks rough. 5 minutes of steel wool and a durable spray on finish and it will look new.
    I agree, get the used rifle for a donor and do a build using a good aftermarket barrel, recoil lug, barrel nut and stock.

LongRange
    go with the donor rebarrel it and order the mcmillen stock...it will be a 6-8mo wait for the stock in the mean time shoot it and by the time you get the stock youll be ready to rebarrel it again if you shoot alot.

Basic Member
    What's the 110 chambered in now and what do you want your build to be.
    If both are long actions....no problem.
    If the 110 is a 30-06 and you want to build a short action.......its a bit more work and potential aggravation.
    Not that you can't find the parts and advice here that you'll need. Just maybe make the first one easy.
    Once you've completed your first........it won't be your last.

Quote Originally Posted by shovelheadave View Post
    If the 110 is a 30-06 and you want to build a short action.......its a bit more work and potential aggravation.
    Not that you can't find the parts and advice here that you'll need. Just maybe make the first one easy.
    I agree with this. Knowing what the 110 is chambered in would make things a little clearer. It would also help if we knew what calibers you were considering.

mr splashy pants
    Quote Originally Posted by shovelheadave View Post
    The gun is a 7mm mag, I would like it to be a 300 WM in my delusions of grandeur. The terrain I play in honestly will not allow a shot past 200 yards so buying a hog hunter to build on also makes sense.

mr splashy pants
    Also if I do .308 win can I do all the parent cartridges with just a rebarrel? 243, 260 280 7mm 08?

LongRange
    Also if I do .308 win can I do all the parent cartridges with just a rebarrel? 243, 260 280 7mm 08?
    Yes.

Basic Member
    I'm sure it goes without saying, but the same applies to the 7mm mag. (300wm, 338wm, 458wm among others)
    I am too much of a whimp to play with these but you may enjoy being hit with a hammer.

mr splashy pants
    Quote Originally Posted by olddav View Post
    I'm sure it goes without saying, but the same applies to the 7mm mag. (300wm, 338wm, 458wm among others)
    I am too much of a whimp to play with these but you may enjoy being hit with a hammer.
    For me it is not the recoil but the barrel life of those rounds. Recoil can be managed. But a rebarrel after 1000-2000 rounds, and the added cost for not a lot of extra pop (talking the inside 200 yard playground) the short action gets the nod.

If I hunted in plains states the magnum would make sense.

Build or buy?

Unless you're a masochist, after 2000 rounds of .300 Win Mag, the .308 will become the clear choice, especially if you're staying inside 200 yds. Absolutely no need for the .300 unless you're after grizzlies.
    Or if you're going with the used long action, the .30-06 would be a great compromise between the two.
    Last edited by barrel-nut; 10-25-2014 at 01:48 PM.

Basic Member
    Correct.

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by barrel-nut View Post
    Unless you're a masochist, after 2000 rounds of .300 Win Mag, the .308 will become the clear choice, especially if you're staying inside 200 yds. Absolutely no need for the .300 unless you're after grizzlies.
    Or if you're going with the used long action, the .30-06 would be a great compromise between the two.

an 06 isn't much different than a 300wm IMHO(and ive shot both) unless you add one of these to tame the recoil...

this is a 300wm with a JP enterprise recoil eliminator and shooting up to 240g bullets the recoil is like a 308.

Longrange- that's is a bad ask looking muzzlebreak! I've never seen one in stainless.

Build or buy?

Even if you factor out the recoil, is the additional muzzle blast and cost of shooting a .300 worth it if all your shots are inside 200 yds? The OP has already voiced these concerns. Instead of trying to make a .300 shoot like a .308, why not just go with the .308? Simplifies things a lot.

LongRange
    He said in post #11 he wanted a 300 but I agree with you that if most shots are with in 200yds its a bit much...personally id rather have a 300 because I can make it shoot like a 308 but a 308 can not shoot like a 300.

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by 03mossy View Post
    Longrange- that's is a bad ask looking muzzlebreak! I've never seen one in stainless.
    Thanks...it works fantastic.
    Last edited by LongRange; 10-27-2014 at 09:55 AM.

Team Savage
    After hunting hogs for a while, for me a 300 WM has too much recoil for a quick follow up shot and with hogs you will get a lot.
    I set up a 7mm RM and it was even a bit too stout unless I downloaded it.

IMO about the perfect hog caliber is a 338 Federal and loaded with Barnes bullets. Big bullet little recoil and just drops hogs in their tracks.

A 338 Edge with 160 Barnes will do the job with very little recoil. If you need a little more knock down power for that special big hog, just slip a bullet loaded with a 300 Berger in it, I will guarantee you only one shot will be required.

JMO, Dennis

D.ID
    Of course the hog hunter is available from the factory and cheap in 338 win and it would make allot of sense if you wanted more thump than the 308 but inside of 200 you just can't beet a plain old 308 win. My little 338 win hog hunter shoots inside a 1/2" with nothing but a stock swap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast