Thread: Weaver #45 bases on a 93r17 GV

Weaver #45 bases on a 93r17 GV

My rifle is supposed to be in tomorrow. I had a pair of High Weaver Grand Slam steel rings on hand,and was planning on using the #45 bases to get a little extra height to mount a SimmonsWhiteTailClassic 6.5-20x50, which I also have on hand. It looks like it will work out about right, but I won't know for sure till I get the rifle. I have read numerous posts where the #45's are being used. I'm wondering if they are exactly the same contour as the receiver so that they snug down securely. All input appreciated. Gary

I bought a pair of the weaver #45 bases but didn't need them. The grand slam "High" rings worked out perfectly. The objective bell is 1/8" above the barrel. Didn't bother to check the 45's, so don't know how well they fit. OH, and the rifle,,,,looks like it's going to be a shooter. After breaking it down, tightening the loose screws on the bases, sanding out the barrel channel(was almost touching on one side), checked to see that the accutrigger was set to the minimum pull(it was), lubed the bolt, etc, etc. Found out my laser bore sighter won't fit in the .172 barrel. Bore sighted it the old way(through the barrel), the first shot was 1" low, and 1" right. Never been that lucky before. Tweaked it a little at 50 yds, and then the first 3 groups of 3 shots were under an inch. Then the wind picked up, and I quit. Wind really moves this little pill around. Just thought I'd post on the bases in case it might help someone else.

Yes, the #45's will fit fine, I had to use them on my 93R17 with medium rings to get clearance for the lens caps.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Thanks JB, I thought maybe my post was contaminated with ebolly or sumpin no one wanted to touch. :)
    I'll probably use the bases later on a ........B-Mag? (after they get the bugs out) Thanks again, Gary

Rimfire section tends to be a little slow these days. Part of that's due to the fact that Savage hasn't done anything exciting with their rimfire rifles in several years now, and part is due to the fact that most looking for rimfire info looking on RimfireCentral.com as it's more specific to their interest.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    The #45s fit correctly. They are just taller than the normally recommended Weaver bases. I used them with a set of low rings and they were fine.

Quote Originally Posted by LHitchcox View Post
    The #45s fit correctly. They are just taller than the normally recommended Weaver bases. I used them with a set of low rings and they were fine.
    Thanks, I had read where some folks had used them, just wasn't sure if the radius was the same as the receiver. I have read where some have used mounts that were not exactly the same, and "bedded" them to "take up the slack". Didn't want to go that route, as I have enough "variables" to contend with already :) , and my rings worked out fine with the OEM bases. Three of the screws in the bases were loose(less than 5 inch lbs to turn), and one was so tight, I thought I was going to strip it, or break it off. Quality has really slipped since the last Savage I bought. I realize this was not an expensive rifle, but there's no excuse for such as that. OK, I'll shut up now. Thanks for your reply. Gary
    Last edited by gwtx; 11-02-2014 at 06:53 PM.