Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barrel Vises vs Action wrench

Basic Member

Barrel Vises vs Action wrench

Preparing to change barrels on my Stevens 200 and want to buy tools. Would a quality barrel vise with the different barrel inserts have an advantage over an action wrench? Would the barrel vise serve other roles that the action wrench would not? Just trying to make an educated decision on which tools to get... Thanks...

Basic Member
    If your gonna get one or the other, get the Action Wrench.

JMHO.....:-))

Quote Originally Posted by FW Conch View Post

+1

Action vise is the only way to go for Savage actions.

The only reason I also have a barrel vise is because sometimes I swap barrels on non-Savage actions.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

+2. But if you can afford to, get both. I've done swaps both with, and without using the barrel vise, and I like it better with the barrel vise. Gives a little extra measure of control when setting the headspace and tightening the nut. It stops the barrel from spinning with the nut when you really tighten it down.

Basic Member
    I use an action wrench (ring style) and a nut wench for removing factory installed barrels. After the removing the factory installed barrels I use a rear entry action wrench and a modified open ended nut wrench. With those I can swap barrels without removing the scope/mounts.

I don't use a barrel vise, a torque wrench or hammers!

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

LongRange
    ive never used an action wrench to change a savage barrel only a barrel vise...this is the one i have http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...prod36757.aspx

Basic Member
    I decided to go with the action wrench... I appreciate the suggestions...

LongRange
    Be careful and make sure the action wrench is on your action correctly....ive seen a few twisted actions with tight factory barrels and action wrenches.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
    ive seen a few twisted actions with tight factory barrels and action wrenches.
    I'm not sure how you would twist an action with a ring style action wrench, a rear entry if not used correctly for sure, but not one that clamps around the ring. If it was the case there would be a lot of twisted 700, 70 and 98 actions.

As a matter of fact here is my setup to remove factory installed Savage barrels. I haven't twisted one yet.

Bill.
    Last edited by BillPa; 10-23-2014 at 10:44 PM. Reason: added a pic
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BillPa View Post
    I use an action wrench (ring style) and a nut wench for removing factory installed barrels. After the removing the factory installed barrels I use a rear entry action wrench and a modified open ended nut wrench. With those I can swap barrels without removing the scope/mounts.

I don't use a barrel vise, a torque wrench or hammers!

Bill
    You're famous for that rear entry wrench, Bill, and I'd like one, but where did you get it? Did you make it?

It isn't rear entry. It is a jig that holds the action straight as well as the nut wrench while he pulls on the action wrench.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Basic Member
    Yeah, geargrinder, I've seen his jig. It's slick. (there's a pic in this thread). But he also has a rear entry action wrench... Brownells sells one, but they say it's for the "old style." I don't know what that would be.

I made one with a piece of bar stock an an old 3/8" drive socket.

I also have a 12" length of the barstock that I can put in the vise for yet another rear entry wrench.

Basic Member
    I've also used my action wrench as a barrel vise by wrapping the barrel in duct tape thick enough to crimp it down. Good trick for that barrel nut if it gets stuck on the barrel.

Basic Member
    Slick, LW. I have also had the nut stuck on the barrel.

So for the rear-entry wrench, just grind/mill the bar stock to fit snug in the rails? You gonna make me one?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    You're famous for that rear entry wrench, Bill, and I'd like one, but where did you get it? Did you make it?
    I made that one years ago when I was shooting Rem switch barrel guns. Hart and Davidson make them for 700s and "should" fit Savage actions. The Hart is available from Midway.
    http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/933...ProductFinding

Bill

LongRange
    I'm not sure how you would twist an action with a ring style action wrench, a rear entry if not used correctly for sure, but not one that clamps around the ring. If it was the case there would be a lot of twisted 700, 70 and 98 actions.

As a matter of fact here is my setup to remove factory installed Savage barrels. I haven't twisted one yet.

Bill.
    Nice set up...and yes I was talking about the rear entry wrench...I've never had a barrel nut that wouldn't come off with a little heat an nut wrench and a good barrel vise but then again a lot of you guys have been doing this a lot longer than I have.

Basic Member
    Yep, use a rear entry wrench anywhere but in the ring you'll have a corkscrew for an action, but they can be used to uncorkscrew'm too!

Here it is in action with my open ended spanner.

I don't recommend using them to remove factory installs, only swaps post undoing Igor's handwork..

Bill

I don't recommend using them to remove factory installs, only swaps post undoing Igor's handwork..
    Seriously. My Axis came apart fairly easily, but the 111 I just did yesterday was a BEAST.

This!

Basic Member
    I've experienced Igor's wrath on several actions that I removed the barrel on for the first time. Every one of them had bead blast metal balls throughout the barrel receiver and nut threads. They sure gum up the removal process, at least they do for me. I use a barrel nut wrench and a set of aluminum blocks machined for various barrel sizes in my 20 ton press to hold the barrel. Whack the wrench with a hammer and it usually comes right off.. There are certainly exceptions...
    NRA Endowment Member

LongRange
    ok ill be the bad guy here and say it....YOU DO NOT NEED AN ACTION WRENCH FOR A SAVAGE...and anyone who says you do is and idiot....ive change several factory installed barrels and have NEVER had one not come loose with a little heat in a barrel vise with and nut wrench....with a barrel vise there is no need to support the action or build a jig....spend the $66 bucks and buy the Davidson aluminum vise and be done with it....ive changed 20 plus barrels with the Davidson vise using an index card to not mar the barrels and have yet to have a problem..everyone has their opinions but coming from a NON EXPERT if your going to rebarrel once youll do it again.

Basic Member
    LongRange, I take exception to your statement that anyone is an idiot if they say you need an action wrench to remove a Savage barrel... The basic consensus here is that you generally DO need EITHER a barrel vise or an action wrench. If I want to be a jerk I could say anyone who says you need a barrel vise to remove a savage barrel is an idiot because I've managed to remove a dozen factory installed barrels with nothing more than an action wrench and nut wrench. Of course, I would never say such a thing. That would be idiotic. :)
    Last edited by foxx; 10-25-2014 at 11:43 PM. Reason: viCe? maybe it's ViSe :)

Easy guys... Seems like everyone likes action wrenches better that barrel vises. He was just saying you can do the same job with just a barrel vise.

I for one, use a big shop vise, with a pair of oak blocks I cut channels in, as a barrel vise, and have done just fine with them. Basically free, no money spent. And im happy with that. Just don't want people thinking you HAVE to spend the $$$ on these items. It can be done without.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by upSLIDEdown View Post
    Easy guys... Seems like everyone likes action wrenches better that barrel vises. He was just saying you can do the same job with just a barrel vise.

I for one, use a big shop vise, with a pair of oak blocks I cut channels in, as a barrel vise, and have done just fine with them. Basically free, no money spent. And im happy with that. Just don't want people thinking you HAVE to spend the $$$ on these items. It can be done without.
    Okay, I don't want a fight, either. Here's my next question, though. I considered the barrel vise and just went for the action wrench instead. Don't know why. What advantage, if any, is there to having the barrel vise instead of the action wrench? (I'm talking a real barrel vise, my shop vise was too small and I could not make it hold a barrel for anything).
    Last edited by foxx; 10-25-2014 at 11:43 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast