Thread: 260 Ackley Improved Loads

rbeckwith

260 Ackley Improved Loads

I could not help myself...those jerks at McGowan had a 260 Remington barrel on sale for $199, and then to top it off they said they would punch it out for me for an additional $60. Can you beleive the nerve? So, it should be on it's way to me in the next few weeks. I am going to use some .308 brass that I already have to form the 260 AI cartridges, but beyond that I have no idea where to start with working up a load. Please send me some suggestions based on your experience and I will give them a try.

Thanks!

lostart

Re: 260 Ackley Improved Loads

I wish those jerks would rip me off like that! >

rbeckwith

LOL! I'm glad someone gets my jokes. I'm thrilled with the purchase and I cannot wait to get this barrel. If it shoots as good as the only other McGowan I have any experience with I am sure that I will be very happy with my purchase. Very nice people over there at McGowan if you ever have the chance to call them you will not be disappointed.

I still need some load advice however. I was just going to start with the max loads of the 260 Remington from my Hodgdon manual, but why waste time and barrel life when you can learn from the experience of others...that's what this forum is for, right? ;D ;D ;D

Basic Member

If its a 1:8 twist, I have had the best success with: Lapua 139's, Horn. 140gr. A-Max and Berger 140gr. VLD's (in that order) in both of my Shilen Barrels. The Bergers were much more accurate in my 2nd barrel, however since it wasn't throated long like I asked, I am not getting the velocity that I wanted to, so back to the Lapua's. I use H4831SC or RL 17, Fed. 210M or Wolf LR primers. You should be able to get around 2900 fps or so. My 1st barrel liked the Lapua's jammed 5 thous. into the lands, this barrel likes them 10 thou off the lands.
    I have found that the Rem brass gives a bit more velocity than the Lapua (I neck down the .308) as there is more case capacity in the Rem. However 2 things: the primer pockets loosen up fast in the Rem brass and it varies in weight more than the Lapua. I length and weight sort both. If you start around 47 gr. or so of H4831SC (SAFE IN MY RIFLE- In fact I use closer to 48gr. w/ the Lapua's for matches w/ the Rem brass, a bit less w/ the Lapua.

L.H. Clark

YOU DOG!!!!! ;D I SAW that barrel just after you I guess! Been looking to build a 260AI for a WHILE and saw that on clearance! I didn't THINK to call and ask them to punch it out. You a Schmart man you.

Way to go. Glad somebody on the forum got it. If you don't mind, could you REALLY rub it in and let us know how wonderful it shoots? ::) :P ;D

Way to be a SavageShooter Shopper!

I must have seen this barrel shortly after you. When I called the man said I just sold it and it was the only one they had.
    Now Jim Briggs is sold out also, only problem with his is he orders 26 & 28 inch and I want 22 or 23 inch.Maybe I'll buy the chrome molly and have it cut and crowned.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

rbeckwith

It's a 1-9 Twist, so I am not sure if the 139-140 weights are going to work. I was looking to shoot in the 120 range due to the limitations of the twist, but falls right in line with that I am building, which is a hunting rifle and not a bench/target rifle.

I will be sure to post the pics of the rifle once it is built and of course some targets once I get the load worked out.

For what it's worth. Had a 6.5x55 26" Shilen select match barrel in a 1-9 twist. The 123 Lapua Scenars with H4350 powder were "screamers" and extremely accurate.