Thread: .450 BM build

shaneholz

.450 BM build

Good Morning all,
    I have never done any gun building before and I need some help. I have a Savage Model 12 LRPV .204 ruger. This gun is in great condition and I've only had it on one hunt, about 300 rounds down the tube. I had a .204 upper built and now prefer to use that on Prairie dogs so this one doesn't get much use anymore. This is a drop magazine gun.

I'm talking to the guy at Apache gun works and I believe I'm going to go with him to make me a stainless barrel. What else will I have to do to finish this gun? Is it possible? Not worth the time or cost?

Looking for your thoughts.

Thanks
    Shane

450 BM is a great easy round to shoot and reload. You would need a 308 family bolt face and a 308 family magazine. Love my 450.

shaneholz
    Would the bolt face and mag fit in the .204 frame? I know nothing about how to do this.

shaneholz
    It appears that my mag will work right now from what I see. Am I thinking correct?
    http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/2-MGSV55102

I am not 100%, but I don't think a 223/204 mag can possibly be the same as a 308 family mag. You will want a 308 family mag. When I had my 450 on a DBM rifle action it was a 308 mag. It fed the first two round great, but had issues with the third round. Search for bootsmcguire posts about his 450 build he had his running great. My 450 is on a striker and set up as a single shot now.