Thread: Mark II did I get a lemon???

daryl308

Mark II did I get a lemon???

I bought a Mark II G last year. I put a Leupold scope and rings on it and sighted it in at 60 yds. Or at least I tried. I find that as the barrel heats up, the bullets rise. If I shoot quickly enough I get a really nice tight grouping. But that is only after the 1st 2 shots are way low and left. It does the same thing no matter which brand of ammo I get. I usually tight groups with CCI Mini Mags, 40 grain round point thru an old Nylon 66. But this savage prints like a shotgun. What am I missing??? (besides the bullseye?) I floated the barrel, but that was no help. Any thoughts???

I'd suspect heat problems first, but it could also be a loose screw somewhere.

Double-check the torque on the scope rings & ring mount, and check the action screws for possible binding and proper torque. If that doesn't do any good, shoot slowly and see if it's a heat issue.
    "The truth is that all men having power ought to be mistrusted." - James Madison

I would guess (in this order): scope is moving, ammo and heat. I have an FV (actually it's my wife's now) that loves CCI Standard Velocity (or pretty much all the sub sonic ammo I've tried) but doesn't do well with super sonic ammo, especially over 50 yards. I would make sure you use locktite, torque the rings/scope, and try some SV ammo.

daryl308
    SV ammo???

Basic Member
    SV = Standard Velocity.

savagetoter
    I bet your scope is moving around.

JCalhoun
    Verify that all screws are snug but not overly tight. Also check that the scope mounts are snug. Run a dry patch down the bore to remove any build up but don't scrub the bore yet. My Mark II does not like the CCI 40gr round nose Mini Mags so I suggest trying something else.

When you shoot it again make sure you use a stable and consistent shooting position and good shooting techniques.

You should also do a box test to verify that the scope is tracking correctly.