Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SA long range hunting caliber

varmint72

Any of the 6.5 rounds will work perfect for deer size animals.I really like the Creedmoor and would go that route.

Basic Member
    Thanks for everyone's inputs. I'm still between the 260 and 7mm-08. They seem really close and I'll probly be ok with whatever I choose. I'll think about it for a while and be back and forth I'm sure. I can make lapua brass work for each. With the 260 I wouldn't have to resize which would be a plus. The 7-08 would have more factory ammo available which could be a plus. I'm just getting all of my reloading stuff together so I'll be taking on learning how to reload too. Hopefully factory ammo won't be necessary in the near future but having it available if need be wouldn't be bad.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BFish22 View Post
    Thanks for everyone's inputs. I'm still between the 260 and 7mm-08. They seem really close and I'll probly be ok with whatever I choose. I'll think about it for a while and be back and forth I'm sure. I can make lapua brass work for each. With the 260 I wouldn't have to resize which would be a plus. The 7-08 would have more factory ammo available which could be a plus. I'm just getting all of my reloading stuff together so I'll be taking on learning how to reload too. Hopefully factory ammo won't be necessary in the near future but having it available if need be wouldn't be bad.
    You're on the right track. Between those two, I would honestly recommend the 6.5 caliber. The .260 and 6.5 CM are ballistic twins. Hornady has match ammo for around $20 on the CM. It's worth a look if you're starting from scratch on both. The Hornady 6.5 brass has gotten good reviews from what I've seen. Either way, the .260 will do you fine as well. If you're reloading, just stock up and factory won't matter.

It's just nice having quality ammo cheaply available since I'm sure there will be times you just don't want to load before you shoot. I say that because I just bought some 6.5 Grendel ammofor that exact reason:)

6.5 X 55 will give you more than the 260 and 6.5 Creedmore, without resorting to a WSM case.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12