Thread: Bent firing pin

Yat-Yas

Bent firing pin

Took my 30-06 axis shooting yesterday and had 4 misfires. I Initially thought it was the ammo but upon further inspection of the rounds I noticed one of the craters was slightly lighter then the rest. I disassembled the bolt thinking there maybe some debris or gummed up grease that was causing it to hang up but as soon as I pulled the firing pin I could instantly tell that it was bent. I am curious as to how this would happen, I have only put two boxes of ammo thru this rifle since I got it last year. I emailed savage but have not received a reply back. It's $17.00 for a new pin so how much would a gunsmith charge generally to install a new one? Deer season is just around the corner and I don't think that I would get the rifle back in time from savage to use it.

Basic Member
    If it is like my new Savage 10FP you can replace the firing pin. There is no adjustment. Swap in a new one and check firing pin protrusion.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yat-Yas View Post
    I pulled the firing pin I could instantly tell that it was bent.
    Bent or machined off center? I've seen them both ways.

If its bent(red line) its easily straightened. If its machined off center(yellow) it needs to be replaced.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Yat-Yas
    It seems bent

Basic Member
    Ah, a new style POS pin, I don't have some. From your pic, yeah, it seems to be a little out of kelter. You probably don't need a new pin, it just needs to be straightened, an easy "yob". Just use straight edge and tweak. it.. gently.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Yat-Yas
    Ya I'll mess around with it after work kinda irritated about it still no email back from savage. I'd gladly just pay the $17.00 for a new one to have it by deer season if they'd let me.

Basic Member
    Yes - try to straighten it. Mine is straight but it feels like a softer metal than the previous Savage firing pins. You can roll it on a flat surface and watch/feel for runout. It needs to be straight so it doesn't bind in the bolt head. There should be a washer between the two springs that help the springs rotate separately from the handle end of the bolt. The springs can bind making bolt lift stiffer.

Yat-Yas
    I ended up taking it to a local gunsmith he said he could fix it for 30 or under. The whole three piece spring system seems sketchy to me almost like someone had some spare parts laying around threw them in there and called it good but I guess I can't complain too much it shoots tight groups and cost 250.00 brand new.