Thread: My reloads or my shooting?

mytwo60

My reloads or my shooting?

So I played with a couple different loads/experiments and got my groups to really tightened up but getting flyers. Now could flyers be caused more by the shooter or more likely the loads?

These are 5 shot groups.

http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/a...emBrass208.jpg

http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/a...0/Lapua068.jpg

Re: My reloads or my shooting?

With 4 shots in a group like you have in both targets combined with the flyer being in the same general area....

I'm gonna have to say that's shooter induced.

Any idea what shot number the flyer was?

possum1

My question too, which shot is the flyer. I used to get flyers like that, still do just not as often, it helps to spot your shots to find which one is the flyer. That gives you an idea if its you or the loads.

mytwo60

The second pix is the last shot for sure. The first pix is either the 3rd or last but I didn't make note of it (I know...).

I think I need to shoot a few more groups to know for sure. My other groups before my experiments were in the .3s and .4s but w/o flyers. I've been tinkering with the neck so it could be the loads but the flyers are always on the left side.

possum1

When I really got aggravated at the flyer that's when I really started paying attention to my technique.I've learnt anything different at all you do to your grip on the rifle or your cheek weld will cause a flyer.

mytwo60

Quote Originally Posted by possum1
    When I really got aggravated at the flyer that's when I really started paying attention to my technique.I've learnt anything different at all you do to your grip on the rifle or your cheek weld will cause a flyer.
    Very good point. I was thinking the same thing. I need to develop a routine.

If I recall from my shooter error pie chart lookin' thing, a flyer in that position for a right hand shooter would be caused by too little trigger finger on the trigger and/or tightening your grip at the shot.

Looks like you've got the quite the shooter there!

hcpyro13

mytwo60, I know your pain. Did this one during load development on my stick. Real pretty if you don't count that flier!

http://s964.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=P4120053.jpg

I would have to agree on the shooter being the problem on the flyer!

Otherwise, looks like a great gun you have!
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Waskawood

I posted a topic today about my model 12vlp being junk. I was having the same symptoms as you. My two other guns with custom barrels shot great so I knew it was the gun. Turned out to be my stupidity of not knowing how to properly adjust for parralax in my scope. Does the point of aim change when you move your head while looking through your scope? Just a thought.

mytwo60,
    Try this test. Add a couple moa into your scope so that your bullets impact a couple inches above your aiming point. That way while you are dialing in the next shot you are still looking at the bullseye and not looking at your last few shots. I have found it is much better to concentrate myself.

Parallax and cheekweld will definately do it also though. Could even be a combo of the three.

Dont be sad though as it happens to all of us. Heres a couple of groups from my recent 6br Striker pistol build. While I was extremely happy with these groups for my first time out with my new build, you always gotta think about that flier ::). Mine cannot be a cheekweld issue since it is a pistol, so I'm sure it is either parallax or just me not fully used to using a pistol scope.

[img width=600 height=450]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t106/pdog06_photos/April006.jpg[/img]

[img width=600 height=450]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t106/pdog06_photos/April005.jpg[/img]
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

mytwo60

Nice shooting there, Pdog! Yes, that is something I need to try and thanks for the tip. I did not shoot last weekend but will do so this week. I took my rifle apart and found some standing gun oil in the recoil lug area. It was enough that required a few cotton swabs to remove. Not sure if this may caused the flyers but I'm hoping. ;D

I was annealing several of my Lapua brass due to stiff bolt lift after firing. I noticed that my groups tightened up BIG time but had flyers. Could be caused by my inconsistent annealing process of using my fingers to rotate the brass for x amount of time. :D

One thing for sure is that the stiff bolt dissappeared!

dozernomore

another thing you might try,is mark the identified brass that is the flier.the next time you reload ,note the marked flier and if still shows sign's as a flier when you shoot them again,chuck it or use it as a dummy round to foul your barrel,if it needs a few fouling shot's to tighten up accuracy.the last time I was at the range,I asked a fellow re-loader,bench rest shooter,,,and is one really excellent shot,,about fliers,.He chucks all his fliers,unless he new he pulled the shot,,,,I haven't done this yet,,but I'm gonna start.I know for a fact that when my reloads have an extreme run out,,I mark them and use them for foulers,,,and 90% of the time when I reload them again, they are always the same brass with the same extreme runout.