Thread: Rebarrel rifle with tons of life left?

Basic Member

Rebarrel rifle with tons of life left?

So im on a 6.5cm kick and the price i was just quoted for barrels is outrageously good from a recommended vendor! I have a factory barrel 308 that shoots nice and i just bought bulk ammo like 10minutes ago. Say screw it all and get a new barrel turned?

seanhagerty
    Buy another action and build!!

Team Savage
    It's a Savage so it can be just about any caliber you want it to be. Switch barrel rig!! And again, and again, and again.....
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

D.ID
    I wish I could help or at least offer a suggestion but I can not.
    My 308 bolt rifle is at constant risk of becoming a 6.5 creedmoor.....but.....the **** thing shoots really Really well, The barrel is only a small fraction of used, have enough premium loading components to burn the barrel out twice.
    Still seriously at risk about three days a week................ Just a matter of time really..... before I cave and tear it down.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seanhagerty View Post
    Buy another action and build!!
    Thats possibly in the works, however my wife has her eye on a beautiful howa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nor Cal Mikie View Post
    It's a Savage so it can be just about any caliber you want it to be. Switch barrel rig!! And again, and again, and again.....
    This is true however itd be so much easier if it were pinned as a quick change similar to my old lmt mws
    Quote Originally Posted by D.ID View Post
    I wish I could help or at least offer a suggestion but I can not.
    My 308 bolt rifle is at constant risk of becoming a 6.5 creedmoor.....but.....the **** thing shoots really Really well, The barrel is only a small fraction of used, have enough premium loading components to burn the barrel out twice.
    Still seriously at risk about three days a week................ Just a matter of time really..... before I cave and tear it down.
    Me too, every other day i get closer and closer to swapping all of my rifles to 6.5cm but then i find match 308 ammo for $10-$14 a box and remember why i want to keep atleast one. Creedmoor ammo is running me about the same as what i normally find 308 ammo for so in that aspect its not bad.

Team Savage
    I keep a nut on each "extra" barrel and it's marked so when it's time to switch I spin the barrel off, run the "extra" up close, set the headspace and I'am ready to go shooting.
    Each barrel is marked with masking tape as well as the action. Takes me all of 5 minutes and I'am ready to go. A little longer if I need to swap bolt heads.

I keep a nut on each "extra" barrel and it's marked so when it's time to switch I spin the barrel off, run the "extra" up close, set the headspace and I'am ready to go shooting.
    Each barrel is marked with masking tape as well as the action. Takes me all of 5 minutes and I'am ready to go. A little longer if I need to swap bolt heads.
    Shazaam! Here I was thinking I was the only one that did this kind of stuff!

Team Savage
    And I've even heard of Guys adding a little Lock Tite to the nut so it stays in one place. Loose works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    Shazaam! Here I was thinking I was the only one that did this kind of stuff!
    Nope your here with a bunch of other guys with the same problem!

Basic Member
    Hmmm interesting ideas. Only have one small obstacle replace my smooth barrel nut with the lugged version to make it easier. Are those precision recoil lugs drop in? Or would i need to open my stock channel up in the lug area?

Basic Member
    As long as its not an Accustock a regular machined lug will work. A heavy duty one might be too thick. If it is, then all you would need to do is relieve some stock material on the muzzle side of the lug "well". No big deal. Dremel it away till it fits. 99% sure you won't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by shooterfpga View Post
    Hmmm interesting ideas. Only have one small obstacle replace my smooth barrel nut with the lugged version to make it easier. Are those precision recoil lugs drop in? Or would i need to open my stock channel up in the lug area?
    Some stock do need to have some relief cut into them (front side of lug cut-out toward the muzzle), others provide plenty of space. Just ask the vendor/builder before purchase if the recoil lug spacing is more than 0.250" (needs to be at least that and then some depending on the cut - I'd want it to be at least .270"). Width of recoil lug cut out should be fine.
    .22LR * 6.5x47 Lapua * .223 Rem * .308 Win * 260 Rem * Large Cojones!
    [I]"I can prove anything by statistics except the truth."[/I]

Basic Member
    Theyre .244

Team Savage
    Even with a "fat" lug, open up the slot and bed as needed. It's a build.

Nandy
    And I've even heard of Guys adding a little Lock Tite to the nut so it stays in one place. Loose works for me.
    That is what I almost 2 years ago and it works. both barrels will be back shooting sub moa. I did change scopes so I cant say about POI shift. Next year I will widen the barrel channel so I can remove the barrel without scope change or even taking the action out of the stock. The stock will be my "action vise" although the barrel will not be torque back to the "big arse gorilla" standard that savage has. Actually, the 30-06 was hand tighten only, second year shooting it and it still as tight as it was the first day. I dropped a dot of finger nail like paint right where the nut and the recoil lug meets to monitor for barrel movement. Hoping to get at least 3 new barrels this year and have 6 complete "switch barrels" barrels. Right now I have 7mm rm nn the magnum LA action, 30-06 in the 30 cal LA action and 22-250 in the .22 cal SA , wish list is something on belted magnum (maybe 7mm swm) for the magnum action, 308 for the 30 caliber action and 223 for the .22 action. When it is all said and done I want all my barrels to be suppressor ready as that is the first thing I am doing next year, applying for a suppressor....
    No need to cut you short. Switch barrel action, GO FOR IT!!!!