Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The .338 Edge is up and running

Supposedly the WC-857 pulldown powder works really well, or should. I can't find a lot of info on it though. Debating on picking up a jug of it. It's pretty cheap, relatively speaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdave1977 View Post
    Oh wow, that looks like you could put your hand in either of those holes. I have a 338 rum and am currently working on a load for a 300 grain berger elite hunting bullet using us869 (cant find any retumbo). I am considering trying it out on a white tail this season if I have an opportunity. May I ask how bad that audad was under the skin? I will try something else if it was to much destruction.

Dave
    Thats what i compared the size of the holes to as well. LOL
    That was a pretty light load. Somewhere around 300fps slower than what I will most likely start using. It was a high shoulder shot and ruined both the shoulders and about 1/3 of the backstraps so it was pretty ugly to say the least. The hole under the hide, you could easily put a Coke can in sideways with some room to spare. I would maybe try a broad side shot straight though the ribs on a white tail, but not in the shoulder after seeing the effect on this critter.

Basic Member
    Yeah, I think I will definitely go ribs, or neck if it's too close. I don't see one running after being shot by this. Then I can put it away until I get back to the range. I'm taking it elk hunting next year, but just have to shoot something besides pigs with it. It rolls 300 pound pigs though. I actually shot a boar in the chest with it last year and had it run about 100 yards and die in a creek bottom. 4 wheeler couldn't pull it out so it stayed their.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdave1977 View Post
    Yeah, I think I will definitely go ribs, or neck if it's too close. I don't see one running after being shot by this. Then I can put it away until I get back to the range. I'm taking it elk hunting next year, but just have to shoot something besides pigs with it. It rolls 300 pound pigs though. I actually shot a boar in the chest with it last year and had it run about 100 yards and die in a creek bottom. 4 wheeler couldn't pull it out so it stayed their.

Dave
    The Auodad was only about 225yds so not a long shot. I had really hoped to see a pig to shoot with it to see if it would punch thru the plates. Maybe next weekend.

I bet it does do a number on the big pigs if you are punching them with the 300 grainers, but that is surprising one could go that far after a hit with those in the chest. It must have been what we refer to as a Volkswagon, they are definitely tough animals.

That should be serious medicine for Elk. I want to take a couple of more animals with this one before i commit, but I'm tossing the idea around of building a bit lighter version for a more friendly to carry stick. You start to notice its on your shoulder fairly quickly at 13lbs, i guess I'm getting to darned old for that! LOL

D.ID
    I don't think it's necessarily an age issue, I think its just a shoulder fired howitzer issue.
    I love my 13 pounder but bet I would not without the brake.

Quote Originally Posted by D.ID View Post
    I don't think it's necessarily an age issue, I think its just a shoulder fired howitzer issue.
    I love my 13 pounder but bet I would not without the brake.
    LOL, You have a valid point there D.ID

What primers is everyone running? I have quite a few BR2s, but they're not a 'magnum' primer. I've also got some Tula KVB7s. Last time I used these, they seemed a hair bigger than the Winchesters and BR2s I've used in the past. They were tight going into the pockets. Maybe they'll go an extra firing or two before the pockets are too loose to hold them? lol

Trying to figure out if I need to go buy some magnum primers or I'll be ok with what I've got.

I never use Mag primers in my RUMs, or anything for that matter my primer of choice are CCI #200.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Reeeeally? Interesting...

I am the other way around, I run Wininchester mag primers on all my magnums and even in a lot of my '06 case based loads.

By not using mag primers, and burning the powder slower, you can use more powder or a faster powder, without causing a "spike" in pressure.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Interesting. Guess I'll try my regular large rifles and see how they do. Would there be less, consistency, with a regular LR primer versus a magnum? (As far as burn rate or anything) I'll be using the gun for ELR, that's why I ask. At over a mile, every little thing will matter.

I have found more consistency with non mag primers, as far as shooting a mile, I am not going to pretend I know anything, I have no clue what it takes to accomplish this, I am going to to stick to what I know, which is 5 MOA bullet drop after that I have no interest, so basically 600 yards which is 1/3 of what you want to accomplish, I would not be surprised if the same approach applied but I cannot confirm that.

Dean

I noticed in Shawn Carlock's comments and documentation of load development for the .338 Edge noted a greater ES with the non-mag primer. Looks like his go to primer in their pet Edge load is the CCI 250.

That is because he is launching 300gr bullets, opposed to my 160s and 185s,

Dean

KRP
    "Magnum" doesn't necessarily mean hotter and varies by brand, could only be a difference in how hard the cup is. I've never run anything but CCI 250s in any of my 338/300RUMs...targets and chronograph never gave me a reason to try anything else.

With plans for shooting a mile plus I figured that's the most comparable for what UpslideDown might be loading.
    I however am going to give the Standard primers a try with those 165gr Barnes. I am getting close to max load with the Mag primers so I will see if the standard primer give me a little more wiggle room.

Yeah, I noticed that too. 300gr hybrids are what I'm planning on shooting. Guess we'll see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by BarrelBurner View Post
    I noticed in Shawn Carlock's comments and documentation of load development for the .338 Edge noted a greater ES with the non-mag primer. Looks like his go to primer in their pet Edge load is the CCI 250.

D.ID
    Quote Originally Posted by KRP View Post
    "Magnum" doesn't necessarily mean hotter and varies by brand, could only be a difference in how hard the cup is. I've never run anything but CCI 250s in any of my 338/300RUMs...targets and chronograph never gave me a reason to try anything else.
    Same here. We stocked up on cci250 after I built my fist one, never even tried any other. No reason.

Weather wasn't great yesterday but i went to the range anyway for more load testing on the 160gr TTSX'S. I was able to hit 4016fps with 102.5grs RL17 and WLR mag primers, but that's my max load for that combo.
    Next go round will be with standard rifle primers and see if that allows a few more grains of powder.

Accuracy wasn't bad, all 5 rounds were in a group right at MOA even with the Magneto Speed hanging off the end of the barrel, so it looks promising.

Too many "once a year to the range" guys out being Deer Season is in full swing for me to be comfortable enough to grab my targets, although they were more than comfortable enough with me to start heading down range without calling a cease fire, needless to say I picked up my toys and was outta there. I'll work on the 6br loads later.

Gotta love the amplified shooting muffs though, I learned from overhearing from one of "them there Experts" as he explained to his less knowledgable buddies that, that thang hanging on the end of my barrel (Magneto Speed) was to keep the barrel from jumpin' up when ya " let one fly". LMAO!!

D.ID
    You didn't ask the experts for help?
    Clearly the opportunity to talk to such a knowledgeable pro does not come about very often, Once a year sounds about right..... maybe a little optimistic, every other year perhaps.
    I can't believe you missed that opportunity to get edjumicated.
    Survived another run threw the gauntlet known as the public range..........It's amazing more people don't get hurt there.

You made me beam with pride, with what you did with those 160s.

Dean

LOL, the 160's work and are devastating. So are the 300's.

Quote Originally Posted by D.ID View Post
    You didn't ask the experts for help?
    Clearly the opportunity to talk to such a knowledgeable pro does not come about very often, Once a year sounds about right..... maybe a little optimistic, every other year perhaps.
    I can't believe you missed that opportunity to get edjumicated.
    Survived another run threw the gauntlet known as the public range..........It's amazing more people don't get hurt there.
    i learned more than you might think! I learned that them that them there Burris scopes like he had were expensive, they wuz like the Cadillac of scopes and he corrected himself, no more like the Ferrari of rifle scopes!

Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    You made me beam with pride, with what you did with those 160s.

Dean
    Dean and Dennis

Not to sound too much like the kid in the candy store but what the heck. I'm going to drag the Edge out in the woods this coming weekend and see about "meat testing these loads".
    So I loaded up some more of these little demons and hit different local range to sight it in for them.

Well Now I'm really pumped up, turns out this rig really likes this load i mean really likes it. I don't go to this particular range normally because you aren't allowed to go and pick up your targets. I tried to take a pic thru the scope but phone wouldn't focus well enough.
    Comparing today's 3 shot group with the .226 ctc previously posted in this thread it looks as it may have broken into the .1's with these 160 grainers.

You are "the man" Scope Eye, Thanks again.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast