Thread: Looking for a ballistics book

ande7824

Looking for a ballistics book

Hey all,
    I was wondering if anyone has had or have any books on ballistics? I am interested in some extracurricular reading. I was browsing around on google and amazon.com and found one particularly interesting: Modern exterior ballistics: the launch and flight dynamics of symmetric projectiles. Does anyone have any experience with this book (or have it)? Honestly, I am looking for something a bit more in depth than "ballistics for dummies." I don't mean to sound cocky, but I am a senior in engineering, so I have a healthy understanding of math and physics. I appreciate the help.

BTW: This is honestly the most helpful and courteous gun forum I have ever stumbled upon - just some feedback :)

Re: Looking for a ballistics book

Is the book you are referring to by Brain Litz he now is working for Berger Bullets as chief Ballistician and was a real Rocket Scientist

ande7824

No, it is by Robert L. McCoy. Did Mr. Litz write a book?

McCoy's book is long on the mathematics end of things. You really need to be fairly comfortable with calculus to follow the work in there, IMHO. It is considered somewhat of a reference work that you should read if you have the time and ability.

Bryan Litz is now the chief ballistician for Berger Bullets; previously he worked with the Air Force on missile design - quite literally, a 'rocket scientist' - as well as being an accomplished shooter (NRA Long Range Prone). His book 'Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting' is much easier to follow, being targeted for *shooters*. For the most part the math is kept very simple; the emphasis is on practical application vs. theoretical calculations. You can check out his web site @ http://www.appliedballisticsllc.com/ and read some of the sample articles that he wrote for Precision Shooting magazine prior to his book. Bryan is generally very good about getting back to people who send him emails, so I imagine he could satisfy an questions you might have.

ande7824

Quote Originally Posted by memilanuk
    McCoy's book is long on the mathematics end of things. You really need to be fairly comfortable with calculus to follow the work in there, IMHO. It is considered somewhat of a reference work that you should read if you have the time and ability.

Bryan Litz is now the chief ballistician for Berger Bullets; previously he worked with the Air Force on missile design - quite literally, a 'rocket scientist' - as well as being an accomplished shooter (NRA Long Range Prone). His book 'Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting' is much easier to follow, being targeted for *shooters*. For the most part the math is kept very simple; the emphasis is on practical application vs. theoretical calculations. You can check out his web site @ http://www.appliedballisticsllc.com/ and read some of the sample articles that he wrote for Precision Shooting magazine prior to his book. Bryan is generally very good about getting back to people who send him emails, so I imagine he could satisfy an questions you might have.
    I will definitely check out Bryan Litz. His book sounds interesting. As far as McCoy's book, I guess that is exactly what I am looking for. I have been through linear algebra and multivariable calculus, as well as applications of calculus. I have taken quantum physics, and "physics III" which is basically light and interaction (with lenses), relativity and all that fun stuff. So I don't think I will have a problem with a more in depth book. Do you know where I could borrow or find one cheaper than the hundred bucks on amazon.com?

ande7824

I must say, I have spent the last few days on appliedballisticsllc.com (i think that is the site) and it is refreshing to see an truly analytical approach to ballistics, at least compared to some books I have browsed... i do wish the testing procedures were a little more in depth, but I love the "scientist" approach ;D. Thanks memilanuk for the suggestion! It is much appreciated.

jrmy_1

I'm an engineer and have taken all the classes you refer to. I would say, first get Bryan's book (he's also an engineer) to develop a fundamental understanding of external ballistics and then buy another more in depth book for the derivations and physics of exterior ballistics, perhaps McCoy's although I haven't read any of his material. Bryan's book is wonderful and it also comes with a exterior ballistics program and a whole bunch of G7 BCs that you won't find elsewhere. His book is a practical book versus a theory text.