Thread: Savage 93FSS 17 shoots way right.

Savage 93FSS 17 shoots way right.

New member here, I purchased a brand new Savage 93 FSS standard weight barrel synthetic stock in 17HMR. I mounted a Leupold VX-1 3X9 scope using the supplied bases and Leupold rifleman rings. Tightened everything down good and snug 20 inch pounds of torque. Set up a full size human silhouette target backer with a 1" bulseye at 25 yards and proceeded to sight it in. The first group was to the right of the entire target backer so I adjusted the windage 2+ full rotations. The second group hit the very right edge of the target backer. so I turned the windage all the way until it ran out of adjustment and the 3rd group is still 6" to the right of the bullseye at 25 yards. Well this stinks! I guess I will have to send it back to Savage for a repair or rebarrel. How good is Savage customer service??

Before I would be blaming the rifle, I'd be taking a very hard look at the optics and/or mounting hardware. It's almost outside the realm of possibility that a modern production rifle would be THAT far out. I'm not saying it isn't the rifle but that's just TOO far out not to be incredibly suspicious that something is wrong with the optics system.

I've never dealt with Savage CS but I've heard they're pretty good. No matter how good they are, you're going to be without your rifle for a while if you send it in. SO, if it were me, BEFORE I sent my rifle off, I'd durn sure mount up a different optic (with different hardware) and see if I have the same issue. It'd suck to send it off and get it back with a note saying "There's nothing wrong with this rifle. The problem is with your optics package."

Leupold makes great scopes but they can still turn out a bad scope (or rings) every now and then; and the VX1 series is not their premium line of optics. I'd first be complaining to your retailer and trying a different scope and rings before I went calling on Savage.

Good luck with it! I'm still breaking in the barrel on my new 110 6.5 Creedmore and it's shooting 3-shot groups, at 100yds, that are touching. .35moa out of the box with a Leupold VXR on a Nightforce base and TPS rings. So, it's sure surprising to hear of a Savage that would be THAT far out of whack.

Kokopelli
    I would be very suspious of the mount and rings as well.. A boresight would be very helpful, but I have no luck with them in the 17 or 22. I sent two back as they were off about a foot at 25. It's something to think about..

The scope and rings were taken off of a custom Ruger 10-22 that is an absolute tack driver. I won a local appleseed match with the rifle scope combination. All I did was remove the scope at the base of the Ruger readjusted it for the savage and torqued the rings back down. I don't think it is the optics.

gotcha
    It could be that the base mounting screw holes are drilled off center to the bore. But being that far off at only 25 yards I think you could easily see any misalignment. I suspect the barrel too. Check the muzzle crown for imperfections then call Savage C/S They've always been accommodating to me.

Quote Originally Posted by BobinIL View Post
    The scope and rings were taken off of a custom Ruger 10-22 that is an absolute tack driver. I won a local appleseed match with the rifle scope combination. All I did was remove the scope at the base of the Ruger readjusted it for the savage and torqued the rings back down. I don't think it is the optics.
    In that case, I'd be on the phone to Savage arranging a return. Man, that sux!!

I have one and when I took it out of the stock there is a piece of metal held in a dovetail on the bottom of the barrel and it was under tension when I removed it from the stock. I recentered the mounting point that the front screw tightens against and all was well after that.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

So, I was talking to a friend about my Savage 110 6.5CM and he told me about having to send his LR 6.5CM back to Savage for the EXACT same issue you mentioned in your OP. So, my original comment was pretty off base. He said he knows someone else who had the same issue with their LR .308. Seems like this might be a common/"known" problem.

What did you end up doing about your rifle? It's been almost 10 days since your OP

Factory supplied 2-piece Weaver-style scope bases? If so, try removing the bases and rotating them 180 degrees and see if that changes anything. The factory supplied bases are made from extruded aluminum and I've seen quite a few over the years where the mounting holes were off-center. They should have a number stamped on one side, so the easiest thing to do first is make sure they're both mounted with the number stamping on the same side of the rifle. Easy enough to check before taking the trouble to send back to Savage.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

JCalhoun
    JB is right.

Also, how well did the rifle group where it was hitting? If it's tight then you can confirm it's not an optics issue. However, 10/22's are known to jar scopes. That is why they make rimfire/airgun scopes.

I had the same problem with an old set of Weaver rings mounted to the factory bases on a 93R17FV. You'll have to either experiment with different rings or try another brand of bases to get it dialed in. Mine worked fine with a set of Savage rings, others have had to switch to the Weaver bases. I have a one-off Leupold base here that I haven't got around to installing yet, mine is dialed in and I don't wanna mess with it.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

If you look at the factory bases, they will have a number stamped on them (K12 IIRC). Typically key is checking to make sure the number is on the same side of the rifle on both bases.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

smkohl

93r17-btvlss

I purchased a new one about 6 months ago and couldn't get it on bullseye at 50 yards. I started with a new Vortex crossfire scope and rings and was still 20" right of the bull when I ran out of adjustment. Mounted a Nikon Buckmaster 4-12x50 that I had been using on a another rifle for a year and was still 6" right of the bull. I wrote a letter describing the problem and sent the rifle back to Savage. I think I called to get an RMA #. 2 weeks later I received a new rifle (new serial #), which I sighted in in 4 shots. I love the rifle and 17HMR. I had read that other people had similar problems. I think the bases that come with the rifles are not always aligned correctly. Everything went smoothly with Savage. Good luck with your issue.