Thread: 338 edge questions

Luke45

338 edge questions

Hey guys, sorry if this has been asked before, they are done simple questions I just wanted to run by you before placing some orders:

1- brass prep, anything other than necking up 300 rum brass in a 338 rum die? Die suggestions?

2. Load data just start at 338 rum and work up?

3. What headspace gauge to use?

4. I've never owned a 338 diameter before, how light of a contour can you go before you loose stiffness?

5. Opinions of McGowan turbo brake?

This will be a repeater hopefully, picked up an old ultra mag action that can accept bullets up to 3.8" or so, action won't fit standard long action stock I'll have too look into that.

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Luke45 View Post
    Hey guys, sorry if this has been asked before, they are done simple questions I just wanted to run by you before placing some orders:

1- brass prep, anything other than necking up 300 rum brass in a 338 rum die? Die suggestions?

2. Load data just start at 338 rum and work up?

3. What headspace gauge to use?

4. I've never owned a 338 diameter before, how light of a contour can you go before you loose stiffness?

5. Opinions of McGowan turbo brake?

This will be a repeater hopefully, picked up an old ultra mag action that can accept bullets up to 3.8" or so, action won't fit standard long action stock I'll have too look into that.

Thanks in advance!
    1- Yes, it's that easy. I use a set of Lee 338RUM dies and an RCBS 375RUM FL dit. The Lee FL die is used for expanding/sizing the neck and bumping the shoulder. The Lee seater for seating the bullets. The RCBS is used for FL sizing the case everywhere but the neck.
    2- There is a bunch of load data around for the Edge. I'd start with Shawn Carlock's Defensive Edge website. He is the daddy of the Edge. Lots of information and load data. Be aware, a few years ago Hodgon changed the burn rate of H1000. Before the change if was much slower powder (Edge data was in the 94-96g with a 300SMK), now most have a max load around 92g. So be careful with H1000 load info. All of my Edge's loved H1000, they just needed a new load workup after the change.
    3- Use a 300RUM gauge to headspace.
    4- There is no definitive answer to this. How stiff do you want/need it? Most go for factory Varmint, that may be too light or heavy for you.
    5- Skip it. This chamber gives plenty of gas for the brake to redirect. A baffle style with no holes on the bottom work best when shooting prone. Ross Schuler brake and install is a cheap and very effective solution.

A RUM action should fit a regular long action stock. The only difference was the mag box. And, if I remember correctly the old RUM mag boxes were only 3.6". Hope I'm wrong on that one.

Good luck on your build.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

I've read there were different mag opening lengths in different long actions, depending on what caliber they were? Can anyone verify this? Or was it just the mag boxes that were different? I'm building an Edge too, and am looking for a starting platform.

Luke45
    Thsnk you very much for the help gear grinder! I double checked the box mag and it was 3.68" not 3.8, but it looks like you could make it a little longer if you wanted.

Up slide down, by base action is a controlled round feed large shsnk extra long action from a 2003 ish 300 rum

Quote Originally Posted by upSLIDEdown View Post
    I've read there were different mag opening lengths in different long actions, depending on what caliber they were? Can anyone verify this? Or was it just the mag boxes that were different? I'm building an Edge too, and am looking for a starting platform.
    Best bet would be a 300 or 7mm RUM action. No changes necessary on this action, but your mag length is going to be a fair bit shorter compared to most of the load data published. I've been running mine as a single shot just to gain some case capacity.

D.ID
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    1- Yes, it's that easy. I use a set of Lee 338RUM dies and an RCBS 375RUM FL dit. The Lee FL die is used for expanding/sizing the neck and bumping the shoulder. The Lee seater for seating the bullets. The RCBS is used for FL sizing the case everywhere but the neck.
    2- There is a bunch of load data around for the Edge. I'd start with Shawn Carlock's Defensive Edge website. He is the daddy of the Edge. Lots of information and load data. Be aware, a few years ago Hodgon changed the burn rate of H1000. Before the change if was much slower powder (Edge data was in the 94-96g with a 300SMK), now most have a max load around 92g. So be careful with H1000 load info. All of my Edge's loved H1000, they just needed a new load workup after the change.
    3- Use a 300RUM gauge to headspace.
    4- There is no definitive answer to this. How stiff do you want/need it? Most go for factory Varmint, that may be too light or heavy for you.
    5- Skip it. This chamber gives plenty of gas for the brake to redirect. A baffle style with no holes on the bottom work best when shooting prone. Ross Schuler brake and install is a cheap and very effective solution.

A RUM action should fit a regular long action stock. The only difference was the mag box. And, if I remember correctly the old RUM mag boxes were only 3.6". Hope I'm wrong on that one.

Good luck on your build.
    ^^^^^^what he said^^^^^^^
    + I run three and while they all run different velocities: one runs rem brass, two run nosler. one runs sierra bullets, two run berger. They each have there own designated lot of H1000 (different lots). Basically all different animals. They all found sweet spots at 89.0 grains for best accuracy, Not a max load but the most accurate tested in two out of three and very close in the third (close enough) and the one load that shot better in the third only shoots 0.1 moa better and loosens primer pockets to do it. ............At 89.0 my brass has lasted well beyond expectations.
    P.S. If running remington brass it is definitely worth sorting very thoroughly.

Quote Originally Posted by BarrelBurner View Post
    Best bet would be a 300 or 7mm RUM action. No changes necessary on this action, but your mag length is going to be a fair bit shorter compared to most of the load data published. I've been running mine as a single shot just to gain some case capacity.

Care to elaborate on the changes that would necessary? I may just end up putting a sled in it and running it single shot anyway. Just trying to find some truth out there as far as if there were different long actions, and what the differences were.

D.ID
    I can not comment on the different magazines or actions.
    I can not refrain from stating: the single shot sled and the total lack of concern to OAL that they allow is far more valuable to me personally than a "faster" follow up shot could ever be.
    Hit first, hit hard and hit true and you will not need a fast follow up. Simple is GOOD.

I always hold a loaded round in my hand, between my palm and the forearm of the stock when Hunting, and find it does not impede on anything, and can do a follow up shot almost if not as fast as a mag fed shot, to many times I try to cycle it to fast in the heat of the moment, and it gets caught up and jams or wont feed for what ever reason, that after cycling 100 times in a row at the range, go figure, I have come to a point that I almost single feed all my shots now out of habit, I am sure all those sharp shoulder angles that most if not all of my cases have don't help in my feeding woes.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Dean, I know you have quite a few RUMs. Do you know if a OEM Savage 300 RUM action/mag opening is any longer than say, one that was from a 30-06 or a 270? I keep seeing different answers depending on where I look. I figure with all the RUMS you've got, you may be better suited to answer that than anyone, depending on what yours were all built off of.

Yes They opening is bigger, Quite bigger actually, it has to be a 30-06 coal is what 3.30" with a 168gr and a RUM is 3.60 with the same bullet, I think the boxes are 3.4" and 3.8"
    respectively or close to it anyways

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Quote Originally Posted by upSLIDEdown View Post
    Care to elaborate on the changes that would necessary? I may just end up putting a sled in it and running it single shot anyway. Just trying to find some truth out there as far as if there were different long actions, and what the differences were.
    Sorry for the delay on response I just jumped online. I see Dean has you cover though.
    But for what it's worth the mag box is longer but the screw spacing is the same on the action, so as you look for stocks that maybe helpful.

So if that's the case, could one mill out the opening of a shorter long action to be the same opening size as the larger one? I wish there were pics of the differences in the actions side by side.

Also wondering if the ejection ports are the same, and if an action from a 270 will eject a live Edge round.

The ejection port is 3.810" on both. You could mill it for sure but you might have a few bumps in the road when it comes to retrofitting a mag box. The cut for the mag box lip looks like it could be a challenge.
    I'm loading to 3.855" to 3.900" and have to remove the bolt to extract a loaded round.

Gotcha. Im sure I'll be that long or longer. I plan on shooting 300gr Hybrids

Luke45
    338 + P? anyone heard of this? apparently 300 gr SMK or Hybrids at 3100 fps

the coal is 4 inches long, and you are not going to see 3100 FPS, and not in a Savage action, not with something giving up the ghost anyway.

Dean

D.ID
    My sierra load ejects live rounds just dandy, your right about the berger 300 grain......no way, not even close.
    The 285 A-max will be determined shortly after elk season.
    If I understand correctly the +P version is a "defensive edge" proprietary deal and the word "proprietary" always instantly kills my interest in something no matter how good it is........same reason I don't own a 6xc.
    P.S. One of my berger loads is over 4" and it does 2840 from a 26" "plenty".

Luke45
    So berger has published load data of a 250 gr elite hunter at a COAL of 3.6", my magizine box on my donor action is slightly longer so i loaded them out as far as they would go and still have a little wiggle room. and the Ogive of the bullet is INSIDE the case mouth.... so on a loaded round the diameter of th e bullet at the case mouth is only .330" and there is a gap between the mouth and the bullet. i guess my high hopes of a 338 edge repeater are over ? i cant believe berger would have published data with the start of the ogive half way down the case mouth?

hard to see in the picture but there is a gap between bullet and case mouth

Quote Originally Posted by Luke45 View Post
    i guess my high hopes of a 338 edge repeater are over ?
    Don't sweat it. Mine are too. I've pretty much accepted the fact that with a 300gr hybrid, it's a single load, and that's ok with me.