Thread: How far from the rifling are you?

Freebore

How far from the rifling are you?

Hey guys, just wondering where you guys like to seat your bullets. I'm getting ready to load my first rounds and I was thinking I would start at .010" off the rifling. Anything from touching to .030" seems to be pretty common. My rifle is a 10ba. I'll be shooting 185 juggernauts. Anyone know the maximum magazine overall cartridge length I can go on the 10 ba? I'm pretty sure I have plenty of room to stick my bullets out a little

i just started seating my rounds out, but my best was .010 off lands. Surprisingly to me at least my next best was .025 off lands. Going to the range tomorrow to shoot a little and see what my cousins' rifle likes. He will be shooting the prettiest brass I have loaded I forgot they were tumbling this morning until this afternoon when I went out to load them.
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

I am at a min .050 up to one hundred as you can see I like to jump the lands.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Freebore
    So do you guys just choose a distance and then do a ladder test with powder charges, then choose another distance and do the same thing? Or do you choose a distance, find your most accurate powder charge, then play with the jump? Seems like I could burn through an awful lot of components finding that "perfect" load.

Quote Originally Posted by Freebore View Post
    ..... Or do you choose a distance, find your most accurate powder charge, then play with the jump? Seems like I could burn through an awful lot of components finding that "perfect" load.
    That one if the ladder test result show enough promise. I have ended up as far as .050 " out as well.
    More shooting, less typing.

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by Freebore View Post
    So do you guys just choose a distance and then do a ladder test with powder charges, then choose another distance and do the same thing? Or do you choose a distance, find your most accurate powder charge, then play with the jump? Seems like I could burn through an awful lot of components finding that "perfect" load.
    personally i dont shoot ladders as they have never provided me with a good load. i start a few grains above min book charge and work up to 1g below max book in .5g increments and shoot 3 shot groups at 200yds with bullets seated .005 off the lands. once i get up near book max i work up in .2g increments...you should find 2 maybe 3 good loads one on the lower or middle end and one on the higher end or a little above book max...to start choose a powder and primer combo that everone else is having good results with then fine tune it...if you find a good load but its not quite where you want it try a different primer...my best loads are with CCI primers. also only change one thing at a time or you will be chasing your tail.

Jettn
    My .300 WinMag is .150 off.....why.....magazine limits.

Basic Member
    In my 308 Berger 155g hybrids 0.118 off the lands, yes that far. And screaming fast. But it bug holes there. The 22-250 likes the 80g at 0.046

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by Jettn View Post
    My .300 WinMag is .150 off.....why.....magazine limits.
    Quote Originally Posted by missed View Post
    In my 308 Berger 155g hybrids 0.118 off the lands, yes that far. And screaming fast. But it bug holes there. The 22-250 likes the 80g at 0.046
    WOW....Thats all I have to say....my 300wm and 260 both like them close...004 to touching depending on bullet.

Actually I am also out that far, I just did not post it since I thought no one would believe me, it is also a great way of dissipating pressure, and is a factor in the higher than average FPS I usually see.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    Actually I am also out that far, I just did not post it since I thought no one would believe me, it is also a great way of dissipating pressure, and is a factor in the higher than average FPS I usually see.

Dean
    I didn't get to chrono them the other day but I was up 33 clicks at 500 and shooting a foot over the target. My math puts me at 3200 with 45 grains of VARGET if I remember correctly. Only a slight ejector mark on the brass and shot a 5 round under 2"

Nice you could not even come close to that, if you were touching the lands.

Dean

Basic Member
    Touching kissing the lands +1