Thread: 80/90 grain Berger VLDs in a 1/7 twist 22-250

Basic Member

80/90 grain Berger VLDs in a 1/7 twist 22-250

Well I finally got my new 22-250 put together. The barrel is a McGowen 26 inch, stainless, sitting in a Boyds classic hunter that has been bedded, EGW 20 MOA base, Warne rings, Vortex Viper HSLR glass and a Rifle Basix trigger. I should add that I had the throat set back to take the VLDs at 2.685".

I got it out yesterday and put about 45 rounds through it working on a load. I started with RL19 @ 35.9 grains gave me a speed of 2980 and over an inch group. IMR 4350 @ 34.2 grains with speed of 2923 also just over an inch, but showed some promise I think with some tweeking. IMR 4831 with 34.8 grains with an average speed of 2981 with almost a 2 inch group. I was starting to get a little discouraged with my results when I tried the last group of rounds loaded with Winchester 760 at 34.9 grains with an average speed of 2999 with a group at just over 3/4". Now the Berger manual lists all of these rounds in the high 3100 to over 3200 fps. They are usually on the conservative side with their load data from my experience. I took the Winchester 670 all the way up to 36.2 grains with an average speed of 3200 fps with a group size down to .314" (all at a 100 from bags in the prone). I am more than happy with the group size and really the speed too. I am just no where the speed that Berger lists for a grain and a half less. I am assuming that I am able to go over so much in powder weight is because I have the bullets seated so far out. I also should note that I have no sighs of any pressure at this point. With that said I am not going to go any heavier either.

The Hornady Manual lists their charge for the 80 grain Amax at 37.3 grains with a speed of about 3150, I believe. (I know that the bullets are different so I am kind of comparing apples to oranges). But is the Berger manual off that much and what should I be expecting for the 90s? Am I missing something or maybe I just have a slower barrel..... Either way I cant wait to drop a coyote with it here soon. Man its a pleasure to shoot! And that long 80 grain Berger is SEXY... lol

Ryan
    MOAON AABE

Basic Member
    I am running a McG 26" 8" twist with 35g of IMR 4350 under the 80g Bergers. I can't decide if its my favorite or my 6XC. I am getting 3200 out of my 8" twist so your not that far off that. I could get some more speed out of mine, but I am trying to get some more barrel and brass life. I was getting pressure signs at 36 grains, I have not gotten a chance to try 4831 ( I don't think it can get any better)

The main reason you are not seeing the fps as shown in the load data, is because of your really fast twist rate.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    Thanks guys for the replies. Dean I knew I could count on your input and thanks! I didnt realize that the fast twist robbed speed, guess I never gave it any thought. It makes perfect sense.

Like I said earlier I am more than happy with the round as it stands. I was just at a loss with the difference in listed speed and what I was getting. Tomorrow Im going to start working on the 90s which is really what I want to shoot out of it.

Again thanks guys glad to know that im on the right track.

Ryan
    MOAON AABE

Since you seat the bullets so far out, and have plenty of room left in the case, and 760 works so well you might want to try some Win 780, with the limited case capacity you have, you will want to maximize it and you will see better results in FPS and grouping.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    None of the powders you mentioned will work with 90 gr bullets. The first thing I would try is Rel 22. I've shot them in my 22x47 Lapua with a compressed load of Rel 22 and got 3350fps with out pressure signs. I don't think you can enough 22 in that case to get pressure. In a bigger case like a 22-243 AI, Rel 25 was the ticket.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Sharpshooter,

I will give that a shot. I loaded up 10 rounds using the 760 but I think that its gonna be to fast of a burning powder to work well with the 90s. Now I thought the same thing with the 80s and it gave me the best results so far. But with the bullet seated out there so far I have plenty of room left in the case so I might go back and try the others again with a little hotter load.

Of course I got them loaded up yesterday morning and as I left to go shoot.... yep, it started to rain and it doesnt look like its gonna stop today either.... hopefully this weekend.

Ryan
    MOAON AABE