Thread: Axis as a "donor" action for switch-barrel project

Axis as a "donor" action for switch-barrel project

Searching the forums didn't yield a definitive answer, so I'll just ask.

Would buying an Axis / Axis II as a "donor" rifle for the inexpensive action be a bad idea? I'm thinking of building something basic that I can switch calibers with. I'm thinking of some 6mm and 6.5mm calibers, both normal (243 AI / 6BR / 6XC) and perhaps short magnum (something like 270 WSM necked down to 6.5mm). If the Axis action would be bad, is it because the action is a bit weak or is it because the parts / gunsmithing options are limited for Axis?
    "The truth is that all men having power ought to be mistrusted." - James Madison

Basic Member
    The Axis action is plenty strong. I bought one in left hand .270 simply because I could get it cheap. I immediately sold the .270 barrel which shot really well and installed a 7-08 barrel that I had on hand. I wish I could have found one in short action left hand, because my only problem is the magazine. The long action mag forces me to fit the cartridges near the front of the mag so they don't misfeed. Right now I am looking for a short action trigger guard and short action mag to take care of the issue. Next year I will probably go with a Boyds short action laminate. Offhand I do not know of a bolt head or magazine for the WSMs.

I did it. Found a clearance deal on a 243 and rebarreled it to 6.5 Creedmoor. Shooting great. :)

Basic Member
    I rebarreled my Edge(same as Axis) from 308 to 7-08 and actually like the action as much if not better than my model 11. also added the accu=trigger conversion since it didn't come with one. I find them to be very good actions.

Bruce

Wow, good news that Savage's inexpensive model line is not also cheap in quality.

I looked at an Axis II in the store yesterday. The barrel said "Savage Model 11" on it. But the bolt release was not on the top of the action, I think it was in front of the trigger guard on the bottom. What other differences exist that would make it difficult to find parts & accessories for? I expect there must be some differences, they can't have just taken a Model 11 and given it a different name for less money, right?
    "The truth is that all men having power ought to be mistrusted." - James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by kevwil View Post
    Wow, good news that Savage's inexpensive model line is not also cheap in quality.

I looked at an Axis II in the store yesterday. The barrel said "Savage Model 11" on it. But the bolt release was not on the top of the action, I think it was in front of the trigger guard on the bottom. What other differences exist that would make it difficult to find parts & accessories for? I expect there must be some differences, they can't have just taken a Model 11 and given it a different name for less money, right?
    Then you didn't look at an Axis. To my knowledge, all Axis bolt releases are on the top. Mine were. And the barrels all say Axis. Sounds like you looked at a new Model 11 with the bottom bolt release.

And no, it's a totally different action. Recoil lug is in the stock, not around the barrel.

Basic Member
    Be sure you don't mind the long bolt throw. That's the only thing I don't like about an Axis. If I use a short cartridge I want a short bolt throw.

Quote Originally Posted by upSLIDEdown View Post
    Then you didn't look at an Axis.
    My bad, they had a Model 11 Trophy XP in with the Axis rifles.