Thread: Savage 110 Barrel Swap

Basic Member

Savage 110 Barrel Swap

I'm interested in swapping the barrel on my '80s made 110 30-06 for one with a heavier contour. Can somebody out there tell if it's a good idea, what I need to know (things I might need to watch out for) about the process, and if there are any companies/gunsmiths that I can get to do it for me?
    Cpl. Roque, Lester/Spc. Mendoza, Hugo/Pfc. Restrepo, Juan
    Killed In Action
    OEF VII/VIII

Its pretty straight forward and not difficult to do. Loosen the barrel nut, and unscrew the barrel, slide the lug onto the barrel, thread the new barrel and nut on(thats basically the process). We can get into more specifics when you get ready (ie headspace and such)What you are planning to do with the rifle will be the main factor (ie...target, hunting, long range etc....). Going with a heavier contour may require you to open the barrel channel some if you keep the same stock though. As far as gunsmiths go...plenty would be able to do it, but if you're comfortable with hand tools you can do it yourself. Several vendors here sell very good barrels, and they're all good to deal with, also sell the tools needed. Also, the classified ads have some really good deals to if you become a paid memeber ($15/yr) and plenty of "how-to" articles will explain nearly everything you need to know. I will warn you...once you start, its like an addiction. First its a barrel, then a stock, then you'll want to adjust the trigger lol.
    Hope this helps some.
    Scooter
    I'm the Boss. I make sure what she wants gets done.

As "scooterf79" stated, it's not hard to do. I would recommend getting an action and barrel wrench if you decide to do it your self. I modified my barrel vice oak blocks into an action vise setup and can do barrel changes with my EGW scope base still in place. If at all possible, use at least a go gauge for setting the head space.