Thread: The new suppressor works ...

Basic Member

The new suppressor works ...

A wee while ago I got the 7-08 shortened to 17" and suppressed using a DPT modular overbarrel suppressor. Eventually got round to sighting it back in last week and headed out for a hunt Sunday.

I wasn't hopeful given the weather was arse and blowing a gale but the guy who'd organised access to the bush over the back of a farm was fizzing so off we went. A quick chat with the cocky about boundaries and whatnot had us agreeing to stick to the north side and he'd do farmy things over on the south and off we went.

5 minutes in and we'd found a pig nest in the bracken just off the edge of the lambing paddock. His marks were impressive, could fit my fist in them putting him over 200lb gutted. Chatting with the cocky later and he's been around ages, always gets away apparently. Challenge accepted!

Jumped the creek and headed up the steep bush face to pop onto the clearing at the top. Rounded the clearing to get the wind right and went back into the bush. It looked more deery so we went into ninja mode and about 50m in bumped into a silly spiker who stood there for long enough to allow me to load, raise the rifle and squeeze the trigger. A quick track and there he was piled up stone dead. My mate who hadn't done much hunting was stoked, first deer he's seen in the bush and we got it.

Our familys will be in meat again for a while now.

It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right.

Team Savage
    great shootig

Congrats!
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)
    You don't know what you don't know.

Congrats a renewal food source.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]U.S. Army Retired Disabled Veteran[/SIZE][/FONT]

Luke45
    Thats awesome! Ive always wanted to go to New Zealand

nice, do you guys need special lic for suppressor over there?
    newbie from gr, mi.

Interesting word play,
    Shorely I reckon yall aint from no whar round here are ya? (southern stereotypical drawl) LOL
    Congratulations on a successful hunt.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stockrex View Post
    nice, do you guys need special lic for suppressor over there?
    Nope, suppressors are getting pretty common, particularly on bush hunting rifles and are readily available from a range of manufacturers. Mine's from DPT (www.dpt.co.nz) and is pretty clever. It has modular baffles and is light. Real light.

Here's another from last weekend.

It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right.

Quote Originally Posted by cleaky View Post
    Nope, suppressors are getting pretty common, particularly on bush hunting rifles and are readily available from a range of manufacturers. Mine's from DPT (www.dpt.co.nz) and is pretty clever. It has modular baffles and is light. Real light.

Here's another from last weekend.

no way, that is the way it should be, we are OCD about suppressors here, I had to get finger printed for the 2nd time for my 338 lapua suppressor.
    newbie from gr, mi.

Basic Member
    I actually had bid on and won a New Zealand stag hunt several years back. We were at a fund raiser dinner at a local winery. My daughter was dating a surgeon at the time, and we we all talking about bidding, and he said I'll go with you if you go.
    So I bid and won.

A month later he backed out. I was still going to go, until I factored in all the other costs, and I was looking at more than I wanted to spend. I asked my wife to go along, and said a weeks hunt and a weeks vacation, but it was an arm and a leg for her to stay as a non hunter. I ended up selling the hunt for about half what I paid but lesson learned. If it seems like it's too good to be true.....

Nice deer, glad you get to use common sense with suppressors. Our politicians....well I won't go there. I hunt on friendly neighbors lands and a suppressor would make them all feel better.