Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Savage 116 30-06

Wildboarem

You could throw your scope back on a the rifle you know shoots and see if its consistent with holding previous group size, depending on how much time you have.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 03mossy View Post
    So how do I tell if the scope has indeed took a crap?

One way, use a optical bore sighter like a Bushnell w/arbors , Leupold Zero Point and etc.. Record the current settings ( turrets and grid) then turn them they're entire range, U-D, L-R. You should be able to turn them back to they're previous settings. If not its time to try a known good scope.

You can also check the mount(s) rings to some degree by pushing on the scope forward-back and diagonally and tapping on the turrets to see if it moves on the grid.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Went to the range over lunch again and I am less panicked now. Something must have been loose on the rings cause I retightened everything back up last night and had better results today. Took me three shots to get the scope back to close at 100 then I shot the groups in this order. Rem 165's, Rem 180's, Rem 150's, Fed 165's and then another group with the Rem 165's on the bottom right dot. I shot that last group immediately after the Fed group so maybe barrel heat made it not as tight as the first Rem 165 group. Ill head back there tomorrow and try a cold bore group again with the 165 rem's and if its like that first one today ill be happy!

(The circles are 2 1/4" across)

Went one more time today and brought a box of Barnes 168ttsx. Shot those and also another group with the 165 Rem's. The Barnes grouped right at about an inch and a little better than the Rem's. I'm going with the Barnes for this season. Thanks for all the advice.

Nandy
    glad to see you have it fixed!

Well I hunted with this rig for 4 days this past week with the temps never getting above 12 degrees. One morning starting out it was -8. I did not even see a single deer!!!! Guess Ill have to wait till next year to test the bullets.

Nandy
    Bummer, good luck next time around...

Basic Member
    The snow was rediculous! I went out with the kids opening weekend before it hit. Land we usually hunt was over run with fly in in-laws and their friends.

So we just posted out back on 20 acre woods. Managed to drive a nice buck and doe out towards the other party :-)

After the 22.5" snow I didn't bother going back out even when neighbors offered to drive our woods "for us".
    Quote Originally Posted by 03mossy View Post
    Well I hunted with this rig for 4 days this past week with the temps never getting above 12 degrees. One morning starting out it was -8. I did not even see a single deer!!!! Guess Ill have to wait till next year to test the bullets.

Basic Member
    I run a 125g JSP in my Savage 111 30-06 for antelope & deer out here to 600 yards.
    Those are my handloads though.
    If I was not reloading Id stick to 150g or 165g max for deer.

Luke45
    Quote Originally Posted by 5spd View Post
    I run a 125g JSP in my Savage 111 30-06 for antelope & deer out here to 600 yards.
    Those are my handloads though.
    If I was not reloading Id stick to 150g or 165g max for deer.
    i used to run similar, 125 gr sierra w/ 54.5 gr 4064

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sixonetonoffun View Post
    After the 22.5" snow I didn't bother going back out
    22.5" of white stuff ???? Tell ya what, I'd put another log on the fire, put on sweats and put my old butt in the recliner and the first deer that walked in the camp door would be in a heap of trouble!

At my age there are two things I live by....
    1. Deer are where they find me.
    2. Why should I hunt'm, they ain't lost!

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12