Thread: Feeding single rounds?

Basic Member

Feeding single rounds?

Not quite sure where to put this, so if it belongs somewhere else, please move it...

I used my new Savage Axis .243 at a local Precision Rifle competition, and had lots of fun.

But one thing bothered me about the 4 round mag...some of the stages were timed, so you had 90 seconds to get yourself "arranged" in the proper position, and fire 6 shots at various targets in 90 seconds. I found that, even if I was able to get off 4 shots with time to spare, I could NOT feed that 5th single round quickly...the throat/chamber is small enough that it's difficult/time consuming to get even that 5th round to chamber quickly.

Now, I know there are "extended mags" for this caliber Axis, but I can't afford $110 for one of those right now.

Is there a way/technique/adapter that I could use when I've shot all the rounds in the regular mag, to feed single rounds quickly into the chamber?

I don't know if this will help your situation, but I am considering getting a "single shot ramp" from here: http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/

Basic Member
    bigkahuna,

Yeah, I found that site after I asked the question here, and it LOOKS like that would do the job. But it isn't clear from the description/photo if this is something that takes a few minutes to install/remove, or if it just slaps into the mag well (which would be perfect for my purpose). So, I've sent an email to the contact address on the website, asking this specific question. If it IS just a quick replacement for the mag (which would be empty after my 4 shots), I'll be getting one.

Otherwise, I'm going to make myself one out of either wood or casting resin. I know I can make one that will work well enough even just friction-fitted into the mag well for 3-4 single shots at a time for the contest.

Edit:
    Just got this in reply from SSS; looks like I'll have to make my own:
    "We do make one specifically for the Axis.
    It is basically a “permanent fixture” once installed unless one removes the stock to remove the ramp.

Lisa
    SSS"
    Last edited by rick3; 10-07-2014 at 05:37 PM. Reason: got reply to my question

Let us know what you find out. I'm thinking about getting one also.

You want a "Poly Sled" from SSS. As you can see, it snaps in place of your regular DBM to provide a single-shot loading ramp. Last I checked the price was $18, but that was a few months ago.

"Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by J. Baker View Post
    You want a "Poly Sled" from SSS. As you can see, it snaps in place of your regular DBM to provide a single-shot loading ramp. Last I checked the price was $18, but that was a few months ago.
    Do you have a link? I don't see it anywhere on the SSS website.

That's because it's not on their website yet. I'm still waiting on Fred to send me the official blurb and pricing so I can add it. IIRC he's only offering them in a short-action version.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

I've got a .223 so that'll be perfect. Tell Fred I've got $18 burning a hole in my pocket waiting to buy one.

n4ue
    I purchased 3 when they were first announced. Work and fit perfect. Most of my rifles like rounds longer than the magazine, so.....
    I've made a few, but the SSS are superior.

ron

Tell Fred I've got $18 burning a hole in my pocket waiting to buy one.
    Me too!

Basic Member
    The sled is the long term answer, but short term, if you have to single load, just drop the magazine and use the index finger of your off hand stuck up through the magazine well to "assist" in single loading. I can futz around forever trying to single feed over the magazine.
    Someday I hope to live the lifestyle that my wife and children enjoy.

I can futz around forever trying to single feed over the magazine.
    Me too.

@n4ue - could you post pics and explain how you made yours? I've searched an an Axis magazine is around $38 (if you can find any in stock) so modifying one to suit might be a bit pricey.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Baker View Post
    That's because it's not on their website yet. I'm still waiting on Fred to send me the official blurb and pricing so I can add it. IIRC he's only offering them in a short-action version.
    That would be perfect...but if it's not available yet, that doesn't help me now.

In the meantime, I've made one out of rigid blue foam. Works perfectly as a temporary solution until I can trim the foam thickness so that I can fiberglass it. It's a lot easier than either fumbling with a round on top of the empty magazine, or fiddling with putting my finger in the hole to "assist" with the loading.

bigkahuna,

Just saw your request for explanation/pics of how to make one. I'll try to get pics up in the next few days, but basically I got some very detailed measurements of the Axis magazine online, & was going to make one out of wood. Then, I thought I'd make a "test" one out of foam, so I just placed my Axis mag on the foam, drew around it, and cut it out. It fit so well that I didn't go to the trouble of making the one from the detailed measurements!
    Last edited by rick3; 10-20-2014 at 12:35 PM. Reason: additional info

@rick3 - Yes, please post lots of pics! I'd really like to make one. I -really- dislike the Axis magazine. It doesn't have a positive "click" when it's inserted, and since upgrading the stock to a Boyds I'm having intermittent feed problems. I'd rather just have a sled and load rounds one by one.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigkahuna View Post
    @rick3 - Yes, please post lots of pics! I'd really like to make one. I -really- dislike the Axis magazine. It doesn't have a positive "click" when it's inserted, and since upgrading the stock to a Boyds I'm having intermittent feed problems. I'd rather just have a sled and load rounds one by one.
    OK, I'll have to wait to get pics of my foam pieces, but I do have the pics of the detailed measurements of the Axis mag on my computer, so here they are:

How did you cut the foam to that level of precision, a mill? I'd probably have to work with hand tools, maybe a drill press and bench sander.

Basic Member
    How did you cut the foam to that level of precision, a mill? I'd probably have to work with hand tools, maybe a drill press and bench sander.
    No, as I mentioned before, I got some very detailed measurements of the Axis magazine online, & WAS going to make one out of wood. Then, I thought I'd make a "test" one out of foam, so I just placed my Axis mag on the foam, drew around it, and cut it out. I used a craft knife (basically a big Exacto knife). Nothing was very precise at all, but it fit so well that I didn't go to the trouble of making the one from the detailed measurements!

I just put the measurements up here to give you more info/options; sorry for the confusion.
    I found those pics online somewhere, but now I can't remember where...

Basic Member
    Boy, I don't like the sound of that! I've been looking at the Boyd Pro Varmint stock for this rifle, but if it causes problems....

Quote Originally Posted by rick3 View Post
    Boy, I don't like the sound of that! I've been looking at the Boyd Pro Varmint stock for this rifle, but if it causes problems....
    I don't think it's the stock, I think the problem is the magazine. The magazine doesn't really have a locking mechanism, so there's some play in where it seats in the bottom of the action / stock. It seems that if the magazine isn't in exactly the right place the bolt doesn't feed a new round smoothly. This was true with the synthetic stock but is slightly worse with my Boyds stock. I suspect that some light sanding in the right spot(s) might fix this (or make it worse?) but I've decided to leave it be for now.

Keep in mind I'm just getting back into shooting and the only other bolt rifles I've used recently were a Savage 10 and Mk II, and both of those are smooth as a hot knife in butter. I'm hoping a sled will help.
    Last edited by bigkahuna; 10-21-2014 at 10:00 PM. Reason: typo

Basic Member
    OK, here ya go with the photos. I took some to compare it with the stock Axis mag, then one with the "adapter" in the rifle, then two showing it in the rifle with a round on it, and with the bolt shoving it into place. This is actually another one that I did in pink foam, then covered it with a very thin "skin" of jbweld, just to give it some more strength. Both the "naked foam" and the "skinned jbweld" one work the same. both are held in place by friction fit, both pull right out when finished.

The pictures are perfect, answers a ton of questions. How careful do you have to be when dropping a round in the breech? I might try carving one out of wood or delrin, I have scraps of both lying around.

Basic Member
    You don't have to be careful at all; I just push them thru the ejection port any old way (well, as long as the pointy end is facing the muzzle ), and the bolt pushes the rounds into the chamber without any problems at all. Just go ahead and experiment with the foam first; start with a basic shape that's a little too large, and sand it down by hand a little, then try it, then maybe sand it down a little more...

As far as wood goes, I was going to use the measurements in the first set of pic to create one out of plywood, and I may still do that. But these foam ones are quick and easy to make.

Basic Member
    You don't have to spend $110 for the extended Axis magazine. If you buy the individual parts from Savage, and send them to Snyder, it is MUCH cheaper. The $110 price tab is to cover what they have to pay to get the parts and keep them in stock to build from. Check it out, you will be glad you did, ESPECIALLY if you are going to be shooting competitions.

DK
    [B]Savage - Arken Optics - MDT - Seekins - MOΛΩN ΛΑΒΕ[/B]

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RatMag View Post
    You don't have to spend $110 for the extended Axis magazine. If you buy the individual parts from Savage, and send them to Snyder, it is MUCH cheaper. The $110 price tab is to cover what they have to pay to get the parts and keep them in stock to build from. Check it out, you will be glad you did, ESPECIALLY if you are going to be shooting competitions.

DK
    RatMag,

First, thanks for developing that original extended mag for the Axis; I saw your posts & photos on Snipershide, and if i knew anything about welding, i might do the work myself.

But, i'm confused how purchasing the parts from Savage would make it cheaper than the $110 price for the completed mag...the .243 mag direct fom Savage is $40 (and if you can find anyone else that has them, they're evev more expensive), and Synder has the cost of conversion for "your own" supplied parts as $80...totaling $120 for that route. What am i missing?

Basic Member
    Rick,

Thanks for the compliments!! You don't have to worry about being a master welder. I ended up using a spot welder to do all of my magazine conversions. Much quicker, and easier. You just have to practice a bit to get the timing and amperage down for a good, solid, deep welded connection. You can certainly give it a go. HoboFreight has a small spot welder for $129.00, last time I checked.

If Tom is now charging $80 when supplying your own parts, that is news to me. Last I talked with him, it was going to be around $60.00 - $65.00. Times change.

DK
    [B]Savage - Arken Optics - MDT - Seekins - MOΛΩN ΛΑΒΕ[/B]