Thread: Savage 311 series H SXS - Looking for info

Savage70

Savage 311 series H SXS - Looking for info

Hello all, I recently picked up an older Savage/Stevens 311 series H side by side for $250. I'm looking for perhaps a date of when it was made and how can you tell what choke the barrels are?

The serial number is B722307 and it has 28'' barrels.

Also, when I was firing it the other day it was shooting well until both barrels fired So perhaps something is worn and needs to be replaced?

Thanks in advance for any replies or information that can be provided

The B prefix would make it early 1970's. As for the choke, see this FAQ article:

http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...Choke-Markings

As for both barrels firing at once, the mechanism(s) may just need a good cleaning after all these years.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Savage70
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Baker View Post
    The B prefix would make it early 1970's. As for the choke, see this FAQ article:

http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...Choke-Markings

As for both barrels firing at once, the mechanism(s) may just need a good cleaning after all these years.

Thanks for the info, I had a look at the article on the choke markings but my shotgun doesn't seem to have any of these unless I have to take the barrel off to find them?

I read somewhere that perhaps the sear could be worn, Does that sound like a common problem?

The choke marking would be above the wood on the side of the barrels. I'm not sure when Savage started using that system though either. The only other way to check is to measure the bore diameter at the muzzle with a caliper or choke gauge. The below chart is for Browning choke sizes, but it should give you a fairly good idea as the old fixed choke sizes were pretty consistent from brand to brand. Most 311's I've seen tend to be Full/Mod.

"Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

JCalhoun
    My 1968 era 311E has full/modified chokes but I don't think they are marked.

frdbradfield
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage70 View Post
    Hello all, I recently picked up an older Savage/Stevens 311 series H side by side for $250. I'm looking for perhaps a date of when it was made and how can you tell what choke the barrels are?

The serial number is B722307 and it has 28'' barrels.

Also, when I was firing it the other day it was shooting well until both barrels fired So perhaps something is worn and needs to be replaced?

Thanks in advance for any replies or information that can be provided
    On the subject of both barrels firing at the same time.
    I agree that a good cleaning should be your first step.
    Also by pulling the buttstock to clean it you will be able to visually inspect the condition of the seers & hammers with a flashlight.